Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 31, 2014, 04:50:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The girls arrive today....  (Read 706 times)
lenape13
Field Bee

We survive together, or not at all!

« on: May 09, 2009, 05:10:15 AM »

Well, after months of waiting, and two weeks' worth of delays, I'm off to pick up my bees this morning.  Been looking forward to this for a long time.  I must say, though, it's the first time I'll be going to the post office at 5:30 AM.  Seems they don't like bees hanging around.  Maybe they're afraid they'll go postal or something... evil  Well, all I can say is, let the fun begin!!!
patook
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 05:35:43 AM »

Have fun, bee sure to let us know how it goes and take pictures Wink

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 05:40:26 AM »

And fun it will be! Welcome to beekeeping,Get them in before the wind gets too bad and you should be fine!
adgjoan
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 05:41:01 AM »

Good for you!!  You will truely enjoy your girls.  Just don't make the newbe mistake I made by opening the wrong end of the queen cage.  2 weeks later I was out buying another queen for that package.  All is well now with them.
You are right about the PO not wanting to deliver the bees. However I am a mail carrier and I can tell you my customers never have to come to the PO to pick up their bees.  

Joan in KY
CBEE
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »

Our supplier was backed up a week too for some reason or other. rolleyes Get em in a box and get em going grin
lenape13
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 05:42:17 AM »

Here's a couple of pics of the installations.  All went well.  The girls seem to like their new homes.  Can't figure out why none of the neighbors wanted to come out and play though... evil

The delay in arrival, I was told, was due to inclement weather at the suppliers location.  Okay, I understand that, but how about an email informing us of this.  Instead, we get to sit around, waiting, burning up vacation days in anticipation of their arrival.
lenape13
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 12:17:17 PM »

Well, it's day six of this adventure, and I've been having lots of fun.  One of my hives seems to have an endless thirst.  They go through almost three quarts of syrup per day, while the other two average around one quart each.  The funny part is, the thirsty hive is also the package that was the least active when I picked them up last Saturday morning.  They have certainly turned that around.  They are now more active than the other two combined.  I can't wait to see what they have been doing with all that syrup when I inspect tomorrow.  (I think that have built a still in there and are have one BIG party, inviting all the other bees in the neighborhood, etc... cheer)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next