Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 09:57:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liberal Academia  (Read 1728 times)
Keith13
Super Bee

« on: May 08, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/08/archbishop-slams-obama-appearance-notre-dame-administrations-abortion-policies/

Just goes to show the liberal leanings of higher education. Notre Dame is going against everything the school was founded on by letting that guy speak and giving him a degree to boot.

Keith
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 04:39:54 PM »

Has Notre Dame done the same with other presidents? I ask because I don't know, and haven't paid much attention to the issue.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 04:55:06 PM »

Presidents  George W.Bush, Bush Sr.,Reagen ,Carter, Eisenhower and JFK as a Congressman. I think that is fairly accurate. huh

Keith
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:05:12 PM »

watch the documentary Indoctrinate U.  i'm pretty sure you can find it online.  it's a bit of an eye opener.  my youngest went to Oregon State which is kind of conservative as universities go.  he still ran up against it in some of his classes.  he was in NROTC and had some professors that were not fans.  he was fortunate to be there with some friends that were conservative and one that was the head of the college republicans.  the stuff they shovel into these kids is amazing.  if they don't have a really strong foundation going in, they will be spit out the other end as newly minted communists.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 12:14:16 PM »

Presidents  George W.Bush, Bush Sr.,Reagen ,Carter, Eisenhower and JFK as a Congressman. I think that is fairly accurate. huh

Keith

Hmm, looks lo me like they are continuing to do what they've been doing for a very long time wth no political bias... seems like a fairly diverse group of presidents there that span the political spectrum.  Quit having sour grapes just because this president isn't a right-winger.  Because neither was Carter or JFK, and do you really think it's really that horrible for them to expose their students differing political views?  Seems to me like that would only be a well rounded education.  Otherwise we might as well go back to teaching kids that the world is flat and that the sun revolves around the Earth, and while you're at it, you could rename the school, Stupid U.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:34:48 PM »

JFK was a Catholic I see Notre Dame's line of thinking there. Also Carter was also in line with the Catholic churches beliefs. None of these presidents openly favored abortion and destruction of embryos for stem cells.
Sour grapes no not me I agree Notre Dame has a long history of bringing in Presidents just not a long line of bringing  in the ones that believe in everything the institution is against.
Notre Dame is bring him in for his rock star status, plain and simple, unfortunately at the expense of their integrity

Keith
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »

JFK was a Catholic I see Notre Dame's line of thinking there. Also Carter was also in line with the Catholic churches beliefs. None of these presidents openly favored abortion and destruction of embryos for stem cells.
Sour grapes no not me I agree Notre Dame has a long history of bringing in Presidents just not a long line of bringing  in the ones that believe in everything the institution is against.
Notre Dame is bring him in for his rock star status, plain and simple, unfortunately at the expense of their integrity

Keith

No, they're bringing him in because he's the president of our nation and because if they eliminated discussing anything other than the things that are in line with the catholic church, they will churn out graduates that are unfit for the workforce and quickly get a very bad reputation as a worthless school.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 02:46:03 PM »

Hold on I agree with you when we are educating the students, not when we are picking speakers and giving out honorary degrees. When I was in college I loved hearing from the liberal left it made for great discussions. But when I was graduating I didn't want to hear from some clown that disagreed with everything my school stood for, and was founded on.

Keith
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 03:35:36 PM »

giving out honorary degrees is how colleges like that land big speakers like him...

Does anyone have a copy of his speech?  I'd love to see if it had anything in it that went against anything that Notre Dame or the Catholic church stand for.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »

He doesn't have a copy of his speech rolleyes
He will read what the teleprompter tells him to say, All modern presidents do. My problem is what he believes in and the policies he pushes. If he was speaking at UC Berkley or wellsley or some other college that promotes themselves as liberal hey more power to them. My problem is with Notre Dame asking him to speak when they are a Catholic institution. Same as if hey spoke at BYU it just isn't the right fit.

Keith
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 12:27:44 AM »

He doesn't have a copy of his speech rolleyes
He will read what the teleprompter tells him to say, All modern presidents do. My problem is what he believes in and the policies he pushes. If he was speaking at UC Berkley or wellsley or some other college that promotes themselves as liberal hey more power to them. My problem is with Notre Dame asking him to speak when they are a Catholic institution. Same as if hey spoke at BYU it just isn't the right fit.

Keith

So you would have the same problem with Reagan or Bush speaking at UC Berkley?  A well rounded education should be available at every college, not just the liberal ones.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 07:34:25 AM »

SgtMjr, you aren't actually paying attention to the objections here.  Reagan wasn't morally repugnant in his views on a fundamental issue like abortion.  Obama is absolutely cavalier about it.  This is a core belief of the Catholic church, that life begins at conception (we aren't discussing here the moral issues that swirl around that, the fact is, it's a fundamental tenant of the church).  Obama has shown that it's just fine with him to kill babies that are well into their third trimester (partial birth abortion, something that's pretty disgusting no matter what you believe - unless you have no heart at all).  What Obama stands for is in diametric opposition to the church.  It isn't the same as having Reagan speak at Berkely (not that the loons there wanted to listen to him).  There is no moral equivalency here.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
eri
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 08:41:32 AM »

Why is contraception not the more "fundamental" Catholic issue?

In 1968, Pope Paul VI issued his landmark encyclical letter Humanae Vitae (Latin, "Human Life"), which reemphasized the Church’s constant teaching that it is always intrinsically wrong to use contraception to prevent new human beings from coming into existence.

Contraception is "any action which, either in anticipation of the conjugal act [sexual intercourse], or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its natural consequences, proposes, whether as an end or as a means, to render procreation impossible" (Humanae Vitae 14). This includes sterilization, condoms and other barrier methods, spermicides, coitus interruptus (withdrawal method), the Pill, and all other such methods.

Contraception is wrong because it’s a deliberate violation of the design God built into the human race, often referred to as "natural law." The natural law purpose of sex is procreation. The pleasure that sexual intercourse provides is an additional blessing from God, intended to offer the possibility of new life while strengthening the bond of intimacy, respect, and love between husband and wife. The loving environment this bond creates is the perfect setting for nurturing children.

But sexual pleasure within marriage becomes unnatural, and even harmful to the spouses, when it is used in a way that deliberately excludes the basic purpose of sex, which is procreation. God’s gift of the sex act, along with its pleasure and intimacy, must not be abused by deliberately frustrating its natural end—procreation.

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 09:57:12 AM »

In some religions intercourse is for the purpose of procreation only. To perform sexual acts for nothing but pleasure is a sin. Even if you are married.

When the egg of the woman is fertilized by the man, that will be a human child. Not a cow or a cat or an elephant but a human baby. So ending that is destroying a human life no matter how you look at it. No matter what you want to call it.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 06:19:09 PM »

SgtMjr, you aren't actually paying attention to the objections here.  Reagan wasn't morally repugnant in his views on a fundamental issue like abortion.

I'd wager you'd get a different response if you asked the students or faculty of UC Berkley that.  What is repugnant to one person isn't to another, and vice-versa. 

Obama is absolutely cavalier about it.  This is a core belief of the Catholic church, that life begins at conception (we aren't discussing here the moral issues that swirl around that, the fact is, it's a fundamental tenant of the church).  Obama has shown that it's just fine with him to kill babies that are well into their third trimester (partial birth abortion, something that's pretty disgusting no matter what you believe - unless you have no heart at all).  What Obama stands for is in diametric opposition to the church.  It isn't the same as having Reagan speak at Berkely (not that the loons there wanted to listen to him).  There is no moral equivalency here.

Actually I still think it's perfectly equivilant.  A fundamental tenant of the ultra-left-wing at UC Berkley is that a woman has the right to choose.  Reagan believed otherwise and was cavalier about it.  Sounds like a perfect comparisson to me.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 06:20:57 PM »

In some religions intercourse is for the purpose of procreation only. To perform sexual acts for nothing but pleasure is a sin.

That's ok, I hear the church is selling indulgences again. 

I wonder how much it costs to purchase a partial birth abortion indulgence...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next