Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Postage stamp rate increase again  (Read 1389 times)

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Postage stamp rate increase again
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:03:32 PM »
May 11 the price of a stamp will go up .02.  :(

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/11/stamp.increase/index.html

I going to buy me some forever stamps at 42 cents

Johnny

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: Postage stamp rate increase again
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 04:31:53 PM »
Yeap, bought some the other day. 

Online kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 04:41:18 PM »
another great example of a government run "business".
.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline dragonfly

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 05:38:55 PM »
Heck, I'm still not out of the stamps that we had before the most recent increase, and I have lots of 1cent stamps to make up the difference. :roll: Before it's all said and done I will be posting letters and bills with 41 cent stamps and 10 1 cent stamps to go with them. :-D

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 05:41:58 PM »
HA HA HA I am the reason for this. Haven't mailed a regular letter or bill in years

Keith

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 11:59:06 PM »
My wife bought a dozen packs of 20 forever stamps before the price went up to .41.  Big investment but we've been sending mail on the cheap.  Then when cleaning out part of the garage I found a roll (50) .39 stamps and a page of .03 stamps.  I have yet to buy a .41 cent stamp. 
Guess we'll do the same thing with the forever stamps again and maybe I can skip buying .42 stamps.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 11:01:34 AM »
HA HA HA I am the reason for this. Haven't mailed a regular letter or bill in years

Keith
I'm with Keith on this one. been ten years for me :)
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 11:15:43 AM »
Have to take that back mailed a letter to Johnnybigfish and something to Robo There is still some thing's you can't do over the internet :)
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 01:23:30 PM »

Why, is FedEx cheaper or something?  Can I mail a letter through DHL for less than 42 cents?  Will UPS come pick it up from my house and drop it off at it's destination somewhere else for a fraction of the price?  Can you name any private business that would do it cheaper? 

Perspective... get some.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 03:42:36 PM »

Why, is FedEx cheaper or something?  Can I mail a letter through DHL for less than 42 cents?  Will UPS come pick it up from my house and drop it off at it's destination somewhere else for a fraction of the price?  Can you name any private business that would do it cheaper? 

Perspective... get some.

The bad thing is we will never know the answer to that question. Who in their right mind would open a business competing with another company with a bottom less pocket? Plus I believe there is a law against it. If I had to make a bet yes I believe a private company could do a better job, but you must have competition

Keith

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 04:10:40 PM »
One of the rights ceded to the Federal Government by the States was the regulation of interstate and international communications (mail, telegraph, radio, TV, telephone, etc.).  Parcel post, packages, which UPS and FedEx specialize in, is governed under shipments of cargo  between states and internationally.  2 different animals. 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything