Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 27, 2014, 07:28:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Permits------  (Read 2388 times)
Buzzen
House Bee

« on: May 07, 2009, 12:59:26 PM »

Does Idaho require a permit to keep bees?   How about your state?
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »

I'm pretty sure Virginia doesn't.  Every beekeeper i know doesn't have anything like that.  Of course i could be wrong.

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
jdpro5010
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »

Ohio just requires that you register them and the location yearly.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 04:29:55 PM »

Louisiana does plus you get a cool sticker cheesy

Keith
Hethen57
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »

You only need to register your hives in Idaho if you have 10 or more.  Otherwise, you are exempt as a hobbiest.

-Mike
dhood
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 05:17:34 PM »

South carolina requires no permits unless you are transporting bees across state lines.

Rebel Rose Apiary
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:04:44 PM »

Illinois requires that you register your apiary, if you have only one hive or over a thousand! You are also required to have your registration numers on each hive....and to re-register your apiary every November. You must also allow a state inspector to open and check all or any hives at any time. Another requirement is that you must provide GPS locations of all hives.

Brenda
WayneW
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »

Have to register in PA once every 2 years. If you expand, you have to let them know, but i dont think the fee goes up. They just want to know who's keeping bees, how many hives and where.

A beekeeper is not what i am, it's what i aspire to become.
WOB419
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 08:39:32 PM »

Too much government....way Way WAY too much government.  I'm sure that their is not end to all of the good reasons why someone with a hive has to tell the state that they have it and where it is but...Way too much government.
TimLa
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 08:50:58 PM »

Washington State:  Any number of hives above zero have to be registered.  1-5 hives is $5.00 total for the year.  It's a sliding scale, 1,001 or more hives is $300 per year.  Expensive fine if you don't register.  You also have to indicate if you'll be using them for commercial pollination, but no extra fees for that.

Certain cities have stricter requirements as to how many hives you can have, where they can be placed, etc.  I've not yet stumbled upon county level requirements.

-T
(IMHO, this is primarily a small revenue generator/department justifier.  You get a newsletter out of it.  GPS Locations of all hives?  You gotta be kidding me.  I'd give them GPS coordinates, all righty.)

Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 09:07:11 PM »

in oregon, it's more than 7, however............

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 09:13:08 PM »

honeybees? what are those?   rolleyes

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 09:20:37 PM »

In Tennessee you are to register any hives and tell where they are located, they also ask if you would like to rent bees for pollination, I think they put your name on a contact list.

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
TimLa
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 09:31:51 PM »

honeybees? what are those?   rolleyes

They're the fictional cartoon characters on a box of honeycomb cereal.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  Besides, no one saw anything and you can't prove it anyway.

Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 09:05:37 AM »

In Tennessee you are to register any hives and tell where they are located, they also ask if you would like to rent bees for pollination, I think they put your name on a contact list.

G3

At least they offer a potential service back

Keith
Eshu
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 10:16:01 AM »

In New Mexico:

You don't have to register unless you have apiaries of 15 or more hives north of Interstate 40 or 25 or more hives south of Interstate 40.  How's that for arbitrary?
charles
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »

You do in Florida. 1-5 hives is $10/year, renewable on the anniverary of your registration. But you also get the free resources of the state inspector, who is very knowlegeable and helpful.

Think of it as club dues.

4 hives
rickomatic
New Bee

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 12:57:31 PM »

They're the fictional cartoon characters on a box of honeycomb cereal.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  Besides, no one saw anything and you can't prove it anyway.

Unfortunatly, all my bees perished in that unfortunate boating accident when I was attempting to transport them, along with all my firearms accross the lake.

Wink
Ross
Field Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 08:49:25 PM »

I only keep empty boxes for storing funny looking wooden things.  I can't be held responsible when wild insects move in and take over.  When they start registering fire ant mounds, I'll consider it.

www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »

Ross thats pretty good, I have seen more fire ant mounds this year than ever before.

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

WOB419
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 10:27:08 PM »

"Think of it as club dues."

It is only club dues if I voluntarily join the club.  I have no desire to join the states "club"
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 10:39:29 PM »

ditto.  don't want some state guy pawing through my hives!  smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 06:12:21 AM »

ditto.  don't want some state guy pawing through my hives!  smiley

I always wondered if the "state guy" did not spread disease from hive to hive, he is in a bunch of different apearies, and probably does not sanitize his equipment between visits. We had foul brood running through hives here about 25 years ago and I always wondered that.

G3

annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »

Nothing here as far as I know.
WOB419
House Bee

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 02:18:11 PM »

Kathyp,

With your Patrick Henry quote, I knew that I would like you, and you just confirmed it.
troutstalker2
House Bee

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 05:12:01 PM »

North Carolina only if you sell bees is it required, but any apiary can be. The advantage of having it registered is that by state law you can keep  people from spraying insecticides from a plane (crop dusting)with within a couple miles of the apiary. You are also required, if registered, to allow inspectors on your property at any time. Now this is out of a attorney's mouth, so take it for what its worth. We had a lawyer speak at our bee meeting a couple of months ago. He was actually really very informative and I appreciate him doing it.
    David
Bobb
House Bee

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 11:48:59 PM »

Too much government....way Way WAY too much government.  I'm sure that their is not end to all of the good reasons why someone with a hive has to tell the state that they have it and where it is but...Way too much government.
Can't really think of any good reasons for government at all.
Way Way too much of it.

"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next