Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 29, 2014, 07:08:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boxes out of OSB?  (Read 4769 times)
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 01:10:34 AM »

What about using Cedar fence boards?  I have a couple dozen of them ...Will the bees not like the smell of cedar.

I've always found that bees seem to do better in cedar than in pine.  I will take a cedar hive over a pine one any day.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 06:09:37 AM »

I've always found that bees seem to do better in cedar than in pine.  I will take a cedar hive over a pine one any day.

I wonder why.
bfriendly
New Bee

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 02:24:28 AM »

Not to give you any ideas but I bought some equipment from a guy who made everything himself, frames included.  About 3/4 of his boxes were osb and they obviously had bees in them for years and years.  He painted the inside and outside.  I didn't take any of these...

I have used osb (actually primarily osb siding) for lids and nuc boxes, but wouldn't use it on anything that you have exposed to the weather over winter.

I have made plenty of equipment out of scrap ply...  It does warp, but...free is free
Eshu
House Bee

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »

What about using Cedar fence boards?  I have a couple dozen of them ...Will the bees not like the smell of cedar.

Most of the cedar fencing I've seen is too thin for my tastes.  If it was a full 3/4" thick and not so dry it would split, I would use them.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next