Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 30, 2014, 08:22:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snake  (Read 1392 times)
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« on: May 05, 2009, 04:12:03 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I took the kids camping.  They found a really interesting snake that I'd never seen before (I'm mostly familiar with garters and water snakes).  Pattern on its back, it would puff up and flatten its head like a cobra, coil and look like it was going to strike...

So I told the kids to leave it be because I figured it was poison (even though no rattles).  Of course being boys they tormented it all the more  rolleyes .  It didn't strike or try to bite even though it threatened, and mostly wanted to be left alone.  I got a couple of neat pictures.

When we got home I figured out what it was...eastern hognose snake.  Really neat little non-aggressive snake...and non-venomous (yes the boys were dissapointed that it wasn't poisonous!!)

Rick
1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 05:07:45 PM »

My wife would have a fit if she would have see the snake.

Johnny
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 06:14:43 PM »

Johnny, I am with your wife.........I hate snakes! But, not as much as my wife!

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »

They really act tough but..... nothing. But if you do pick it up it will sometimes give you a load of smelly pooh.

Copper heads are the ones that you got to watch out for. They are small and quiet and hang out around wooded areas. Go poking around in ground cover and you might find one the hard way. OUCH!!!

Water Moccasins, cotton mouths, are vicious mean. Stay clear of them. They don't put up with much playing.   

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 07:34:03 PM »

Yes I have seen those , there is also a eastern puff adder, the non poisonus variety, does the same thing and if you bother it enough it rolls over and plays dead. waits till you go away and runs for it.

I grew up in fla. down there we see lots of rattlers, cotton mouths/moccasins, and quite a few of the coral snakes, red and yellow kill a fellow, its a beautiful snake, red/yellow/ black bands around, very peasful, but if they bite you, well your dead. good thing they are usually very gentle, I don't think back in the sixtys they had anti venom for them. but very few people were bitten, heard of a child playing with one on the news, she put it down and it crawled away. the other types, bite you as soon as look at ya. lol I hate snakes too.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.
1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 08:09:46 PM »

Steve
I show Amy(my wife) a picture of the snake and she scream!!!
I wonder if it worth get hit over that after I laught at her?

Johnny
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »

Hognose snakes are very cool. Captive bred ones will take mice but wild caught specimans are really, really fond of toads.

They put up a front but if that doesn't work they play dead. Nice pics.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 11:46:19 AM »

We let that one go...but I did just find a little garter snake yesterday for a pet for the kids.  My dear wife didn't say a whole lot (she swore up and down that we'd never keep a snake in the house) and they have that one in a little aquarium now....

Rick
dpence
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 12:29:09 PM »

We have a snake similar to that around here we call a spread head.  Unless the snake is an immediate threat, I leave them be.  Sometimes a rat snake will take up residence under a hive.  Cool picture.

David 
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »

I have most of my hives adjacent to a canal that is pretty overgrown. I see my fair share of snakes, most I leave alone but the water moccasins usually get a shot from the .22 I carry in my truck

Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next