Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 16, 2014, 09:51:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to mount bait hive in tree?  (Read 890 times)
JayC
New Bee

« on: May 05, 2009, 05:07:42 AM »

I've read a few people saying they mounted bait hives (swarm traps, whatever) with anchors to hoist them into a tree with some rope.  This sounds like a great way to avoid using a ladder in my backyard, which my wife would appreciate.  But, I'm not sure I understand how they're held in the tree.  Do you just hoist them up and leave them hanging?  It seems the bees wouldn't like a home that sways in the wind.  What am I missing?
jimmyo
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:41:36 AM »

After I pull my trap up I wrap the rope around the box so it doesn't blow around.

I use a stick to close the door after dark when all the bees are home then I let them down on the rope and move them where I want them to bee.
Jim
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »

Nice Pics!
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:32:54 PM »

My experience has been that height isn't a big factor.  I have had swarms move into equipment on the ground.  With that in mind,  I just use a step ladder,  a big nail in the tree and a hole in the side of the box. I get the same results at 8-10 feet as I did at 15-20 without having to worry about falling off a ladder.  Removal and replace is as easy as lifting the box off the nail.   I use most of the spots year after year so don't have to worry about breaking out the hammer and nails very often.

rob...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »

Just got back from Buds in Ms. Maybe Beemaster will post a picture of one of Buds traps. Not near as complicated as I was making it.

He has made wood boxes about 1 1/2 ft by 2 ft height (just a guess) and made them where one side will slip off (recesses one side and ties this side on with two cords-- nails to cord @ top slip knot @ bottom).  He cuts a one inch hole on bottom of box for an entrance. Baits with lemon grass oil--- leaves old comb in box if any was there from previous use.Catfish farming is big in the area so he uses black trot line cord to pull box up in tree over limb and leaves suspended in air.

We got three swarms out of his boxes the first day I was there. He has some boxes he catches 3-6 swarms in a year. Like fishing some holes are better than others grin!

John 3:16
1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 07:47:54 PM »

Nice Picture, Jimmyo

Johnny
JayC
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 05:43:34 AM »

Good stuff.  Thanks everybody.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print