Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 25, 2014, 04:49:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The stray cat/ society analogy  (Read 780 times)
dragonfly
House Bee

« on: May 04, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »

We live in the country and we have a creek, lots of trees, a wildflower pasture, and it's a perfect place for wildlife to survive. Because of this, we end up with lots of stray cats from people dumping their unwanted animals nearby.  If I kept every cat that shows up here, I would be over-run with cats. I love cats and I have three of them. All female, all fixed. My old male cat, who was like a brother to me, died a few months ago.
Anyway, DH shoots most of the strays that show up, and I would do it myself if I was a good enough long-range shot, but I'm not. Today, a big Tom made an appearance. We can always tell when there's a stray, especially a tom cat because my garden buddy cat starts staying up here close to the house instead of the garden shed where she has lived for 10 years. I told DH there was a stray, he took care of the problem (quickly and humanely for anyone here who is opposed to killing stray cats), and I grumblingly remarked that I get so tired of people dumping their problems for other people to take care of. He remarked, off the cuff, "Well, just look at our entire society".

Bam. Right on the mark. Our entire society has bought into the idea that you don't need to take care of your own problems. Just pass them onto someone else to do the dirty work for you. Wow.
Bodo
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »

Can't get any clearer that that.  Maybe you've founded a new branch of philosophy? 
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:17:06 PM »

Yeah Bodo. Just stick around for a couple hundred years, and you can read about me in the textbooks. grin
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 05:09:53 PM »

I agree whole heartily about killing stray cats. ( not to sound to fruity) but stray cats are the number one killers of songbirds in the wild. Also most people who have domestic cats should do the birds a favor and hang a bell from there cat's necks.

Keith

Also Dragonfly your husband did hit the nail on the head with his remark
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 06:14:02 PM »

I agree whole heartily about killing stray cats. ( not to sound to fruity) but stray cats are the number one killers of songbirds in the wild.

Yeah, and I'm an avid birdwatcher, so....
Like I said, I have three cats, but they are well-fed and rarely kill a bird. Mice, yes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next