Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 25, 2014, 04:46:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does my smoker need repairs  (Read 1311 times)
cundald
House Bee

« on: May 04, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »

I purchased a new smoker little over a week ago have used it three times to date.   
Each time it is used, smoke leaks out though the metal seams around the cone,
is that normal and is there away to seal them so it do not leak?

cundald

The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:13:02 PM »

Is it a dome top?   Leaking is not uncommon and usually worse on the dome top and cheaper units.   If you still get puffs out of it when pumped, I wouldn't worry to much about it.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Bee-Bop
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:39:36 PM »

After it's used some it will seal itself up with tar & pitch, then you will be cussing it because the durn thing won't open.

Use the search option at the top of the page and you will find out how to clean it so it will open.

One of the many thing they don't tell you about !

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:04:57 PM »

mine leaks if i puff it to hard.  could be from being dropped a number of times  smiley

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
hankdog1
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 10:27:05 PM »

mine leaks too haven't ever seen one that didn't.  yeah i clean mine often had mine get stuck a time or two now i clean them before all that mess gets built up.

Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!
cundald
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 10:42:08 PM »

Thanks all! Smiley

Cundald

The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.
Solomon Ibn Gabriol
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 11:18:46 PM »

You should return it to where you bought it and have it checked and replaced if bad.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:43:59 AM »

I don't have a smoker so I wouldn't know.  I suppose at some point I'll have to get one, but not yet.
jimmyo
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 08:48:18 AM »

Use pine straw for smoker fuel and it will seal right up in no time.
Jim
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 11:17:54 AM »

Use pine straw for smoker fuel and it will seal right up in no time.
Jim

That's if you have Pine!  Grows well in Eastern Wa, but I've rarely seen the stuff on the West side of the Cascades.

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 12:54:49 PM »

I don't have a smoker so I wouldn't know.  I suppose at some point I'll have to get one, but not yet.

So whats the plan if you get into that cut-out and the bees are mean?

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 01:00:26 PM »

i have found that the sugar spray works well.  a LIGHT spray, or you'll have clumpy bees  smiley

had one guy who was freaky about having a smoker in his barn.  had no choice but to use the spray. not the nicest of bees...

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »

So whats the plan if you get into that cut-out and the bees are mean?

If I absolutely have to, I'll use a cigarette to smoke them.  But I don't expect that'll be the case.  There are two kinds of bees around here, gentle bees, and bees that you have to work a little more slowly.   grin
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 06:16:48 PM »

If you use some of the cedar chips like hamster bedding,it will tar up the cracks.As far as getrting the top ope,.when I'm done using it I try to remeber to loosen the top while it is still hot.
THESE WORK NICE FOR LIGHTING AND LOOSENING THE TOP WHEN GLUEDSHUT:
http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/TORCHES/STANDARDTORCHES/tabid/250/ctl/Detail/mid/1259/xmid/6948/xmfid/3/Default.aspx
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next