Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 16, 2014, 05:12:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: queen cell question  (Read 574 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: May 04, 2009, 05:09:48 PM »

being cheap and knowing that i have diverse genetics in the area, i never buy queens.  this year i have two hives that went queenless over the winter (besides the laying worker hive, now gone).  one is now ok.  the other, i caught about a week later.  they immediately built several nice looking queen cells from the frame of larvae i gave them.  yesterday was day 17 and they cells are still intact.  in case they not good cells, i gave this hive another frame of eggs and larvae. 

my question is:  can weather and cooler nights cause delay in the opening of those cells or do they just do their thing no matter what?  never had this happen before.......

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 05:17:29 PM »

Cant wait for the answer. Want to know this also
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 05:30:21 PM »

Yes, temp can increase or decrease development time in any cold blooded young.
A queen can emerge in 14 to 18 days. Please don't ask for references, as I just remember reading about it. Probably before half the forum members were old enough to read.   shocked     grin

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:44:17 PM »

I've been into hives that were actively keeping 4 queens trapped in their cells.  I guess they were checking each queen out when it came hatching time to pick the very best one.  Saw one bee feeding the queen in the cell as another worker repaired the cell to keep the queen imprisoned.  My inspecting the hive disrupted the imprisonments and I suddenly had pipping coming out all over.  I quickly brood the hive down into 5 hives.  4 for the queens kept trapped and one for the remaining unhatched queen cell.  They all did well.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:07:26 PM »

>can weather and cooler nights cause delay in the opening of those cells or do they just do their thing no matter what?  never had this happen before.......

Yes, it can delay them up to two or three days and hot weather can shorten the time by up to two days.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next