Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 09:32:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I never knew it would be this much fun!!!!  (Read 448 times)
vermmy35
Field Bee

« on: May 03, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »

I really can't wait to get into the hive for my first inspection.  Its killing me just wondering what they are doing; so me and my son made a game of watching the bees bringing in different colored pollen.  Well I can already tell you that next year I can see owning 1 or 2 more hives. evil  Even my wife is starting to warm up to the ladies after watching me plant tomato's about 2 or 3 feet in front of the hive and not getting stung.  Oh life is good right now.

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/
TimLa
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »

Welcome to the brotherhood/sisterhood!  (evil bwah-ha-ha laugh).

It is certainly addicting.  I'm already planning my next inspection.

Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.
Carl F
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 07:46:07 PM »

It's great to see your joy and enthusiasm--especially since you are bringing your son and wife along for the ride.  Spring is a wonderful time to be a beekeeper.

I don't want to be a killjoy, but...  remember how much fun you are having right now because eventually there will be some trying times.  The "personality" of your hive will change dramatically when there is no nectar for them to collect or when they are being robbed by another colony of bees.

Being prepared and knowing what to expect will go a long way toward keeping it fun.  All things considered, it really is a blast and you have never tasted honey better than the honey that will come from your hive(s) one day.  Beyond the honey there is a lot of fun to have with beeswax (and the things that can be made from it), propolis, and pollen.  Doing your own splits, keeping an observation hive, and raising queens are other amazing things to look forward to.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Let your life speak.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next