Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 11:58:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: weird comb  (Read 517 times)
Tom Cannon
New Bee

« on: May 03, 2009, 04:53:26 PM »

Hi all,

anybody out there that can give me some input on this weird comb i got going on?
I removed this small swarm that had just got started making comb in a wall. i removed the new comb and rubberbanded and wired it into 2 frames.
When i put them in a deep box i noticed that the comb had col lapsted on it self a bit and being the new guy "and not thinking", i put the 2 frames next to each other in the box.
After inspecting the combs have collapsed futher and now have 2 frames that can only be pulled out together because of the great repair job the bee's have done.
Should i just take the comb and let them concentrate on comb i can monitor or let them have at it. The activity in the hive is all around this big piece of comb that can't be looked at.
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:49:22 PM »

Take those two frames and move them to the out side on either side. You still have the other side to remove one frame at the time starting at the outside when you work the hive. In time there will be less activity on those two together  frames or if and when you flip flop your hive bodies. :)doak
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 12:23:44 AM »

Sounds like you are working with green (new) comb, which is making the task harder.  moving the combs several frames apart should help.  What for them still trying to bridge those 2 combs together.  It can get weird in a hive and bees have been known to do some crazy things.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Tom Cannon
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:14:19 AM »

OK, I'll try moving them both to the outside and see what happens. Yes it was/is very green comb. It sure worked for placing it in the nuc to get the bee's out of the wall but had no idea why it was falling down on it self.
thanks for the direction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next