Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 28, 2014, 02:34:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rookie mistake  (Read 720 times)
oldenglish
House Bee

« on: May 03, 2009, 01:55:37 PM »

Had my big inspection of the five hives this weekend, I had to correct one errant hive that was building comb across the frames and I have to admit I was really supprised at how gentle they were as I cut comb and hung it in the 5 frame traps.
My mistake was on another hive, it had appeared to have slowed almost to a stop with building comb, they were packing in the honey and pollen, but there was no sign of larvae or capped brood (hive is a month old) all my other hives have lots of brood. I could not see any sign of the queen but did find 3 drone cells in the whole hive  huh
I went out and got a new queen and just by chance met my mentor at the store who said he would come over and look. First thing he said was they were not acting like a queenless hive, then he found the queen. We watched her for a while and she was going through the actions of laying, but if she had done this for almost a month where was the brood ?
Just in case she is a late starter we took her and a frame of good brood and placed her in a new hive, give her another month and see what happens, the new queen went in her old hive.
I guess the rookie mistake was me assuming no queen, but she could still turn out to be a no good queen.
So at least for now I have six hives.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »

if that's the worst mistake you make, you are off to a romping good start!  smiley

there is no bee law that says a queenless hive has to act queenless.  as an example, my laying worker hive was very nice and very quiet.  my mistake for not going to the bottom earlier and catching the fact that they were queenless.

sounds like you lost nothing but the cost of a new queen, and gained knowledge. 

i would have been tempted to pinch that slow queen and replace her, but again, nothing lost if you can keep the numbers up in that hive and not damage your others.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 02:49:41 PM »

sounds like a winning mistake to me, a win win thing, you got a new queen, thats a win, you got a start on a nuc, thats a win, if you get two for one. well thats a win win to me. Hope she starts to lay for you.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 11:55:09 PM »

If the queen was going through the motions of laying but no eggs they I would have to suspect queen failure with some type of abdomenal injury or obstruction.  But you probably already discussed this thoroughly with your mentor.  Aren't they handy?   But the measured you used by isolating the queen in a separate nuc will tell the tail.
Getting the queen was also a good move in this case.  But either way you have a new nuc started.  Now the question is, are you going to keep it as a separate unit?

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
oldenglish
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:56:46 PM »

If the queen was going through the motions of laying but no eggs they I would have to suspect queen failure with some type of abdomenal injury or obstruction.  But you probably already discussed this thoroughly with your mentor.  Aren't they handy?   But the measured you used by isolating the queen in a separate nuc will tell the tail.
Getting the queen was also a good move in this case.  But either way you have a new nuc started.  Now the question is, are you going to keep it as a separate unit?

If she comes around I will keep her in her new hive, if not I will have to revisit my options. Never planned on having six hives my first year and I am getting short of boxes and frames, not desperate yeat but that could change in another month.

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 10:36:28 PM »

If she comes around I will keep her in her new hive, if not I will have to revisit my options. Never planned on having six hives my first year and I am getting short of boxes and frames, not desperate yeat but that could change in another month.

If you're using 8 frames I have some boxes I haven't put together yet, along with those frames you need, we'll get you through.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next