Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 22, 2014, 09:51:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swarms and pests,diseases  (Read 941 times)
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« on: April 08, 2010, 02:28:25 PM »

I'll have to admit I am way jealous of all the swarms that people on here have been posting about, but Jahjude brought up something I havent even thought about.  Wouldnt the risk of bringing in someone elses problems to your apiary through swarms be potentially catastrophic?  How do you prevent or minimize the risks of spreading disease through your home colonies?
Jahjude
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:14:22 PM »

Only thing i can thk of right now is having a separate location for keeping hives taken from cut-outs or foreign swarms until they've been confirmed as being ok/clean,then they may be transferred to official apiary...Otherwise it'd be real risky.
Any other suggestions??

I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..
Finski
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 12:02:52 AM »

The basic system is that when you have bees, you should learn to identifye diseases when they appear.

Swarms are normally rid off diseases. They carry of course mites (tracheal + varroa) but you can clean them with thymol and formic acid.

If the sick hive is in the corner of the yeard, it does not protect other hives in the yard.

But this is the first time when I see an advice that "dont take swarms because they have diseases".

Language barrier NOT included
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 12:13:52 AM »

i always figured that if the hive was strong enough to swarm, it probably was minimal risk.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 12:03:32 PM »

i always figured that if the hive was strong enough to swarm, it probably was minimal risk.

makes sense to me. a strong healthy hive will swarm. a weakend one from disease translates in to low population numbers, etc. so less likely to swarm
Jahjude
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 12:23:22 PM »

Totally agree,minimum risk maybe right but isn't there still a risks involved??Remember SHB may fly with a colony not to mention mites which attach themselves to bees....My point is if the option is there to keep new cut-outs at a separate location(not in same beeyard),that'd be best until they've strengthened and confirmed to be "pest-free''

I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next