Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 20, 2014, 06:41:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crazy or not?  (Read 948 times)
ArmucheeBee
Field Bee

« on: April 30, 2009, 06:26:58 PM »

Does anyone smoke a tobacco (not crack) pipe while working your hives?  I have talked to some people who smoke cigarettes and work hives without veils, but I was wondering about a more pleasant smelling and healthier pipe!!  My bees do not like my breath, veils or no.

Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants
jimmy
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 06:48:55 PM »

I don't smoke BUT, my bee club president says he uses pipe tobacco rolled inside cardboard for smoking the bees. He claims the pipe tobacco smoke makes the varona mites dizzy afterwhich they fall off the bees thru the screenbottom board. I have not tried it yet but plan to do so as soon as I can remember to purchase tobacco when I'm in town.
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 06:52:06 PM »

Honey bees do not like "Human" breath, not just yours. Mine and every one else s. doak
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:49:44 PM »

I have heard that, I think its the carbon dioxide that sets them off.

The tobacco, never heard anything about that for smoking bees.
You might be able to do a search here and find something on it, it seems like every topic under the sun has been brought up one time or another here.
The only thing I would wonder about is the stench if it smells like cigars or anything getting into the wax and lingering.
Mairzy_doats
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:04:48 PM »

My folks always used tobacco leaves from my uncle in their smoker. Nothing but that. Don't know if it was good or not. An old timer told me not to use anything but honey locust branches in my smoker. He says anything else will make the bees sick.  huh

~mary
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:21:54 PM »

A good rule of thumb is probably that if its not good for you its probably not good for the bees.
ArmucheeBee
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 11:01:08 PM »

I'm not talking about smoking the WHOLE hive, just having the pipe in your mouth, with a little smoke to keep the bees off your head and face.  I would think the costs of using pipe tobacco to smoke your hive(s) would be a little excessive.  And yes, I searched.  Couple of threads from last year about chewing gum.  And yes, I know that all human breath has carbon dioxide and bees don't like it.   If some of you will watch the videos about German Skeff (sp?) beekeepers you will understand what I am asking, but I really just want to know personal experiences smoking a pipe and working hives.  I like the "dizzy mite" story--cool.

Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 07:24:42 AM »

Brushy mountain use to sell a German mouth smoker.  Is was basically a metal over-sized pipe that you held in your mouth.  I was always going to get one for a conversation piece, but waited too long.

And I'm sure you have all seen the old pictures of the beekeeper with the whole in the veil for the pipe to stick out.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next