Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 05:06:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what should a good brood nest look like  (Read 457 times)
irekkin
House Bee

« on: April 29, 2009, 11:53:38 PM »

i've heard different discriptions of brood nests and i was wondering what an average to good brood nest should look like. i use a single deep as my primary brood box and about the best i've seen is five frames of brood. tia

when you're dumb, ya gotta be tough.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:51:52 AM »

i've heard different discriptions of brood nests and i was wondering what an average to good brood nest should look like. i use a single deep as my primary brood box and about the best i've seen is five frames of brood. tia

You just answered the question of why beekeepers often use 2 brood chambers.  More combs makes more bees.
Five frames, this time of year is okay, but 6-7 is better.  I've had up to 8 full, both sides, of brood in a 10 frame hive but usually you only get 6 plus one side of the next one, making seven full frames of brood. 

If you want a honey crop I would suggest going to 2 brood chambers per hive, more bees make more honey.

Now to answer your question:  A frame of brood should be 2/3 - 3/4 the way up the comb with brood in various stages.  There should then be about a 1 inch band of pollen and the remainder of the hive should be honey to the top bar of the frame.  The brood should be displayed in a nice arc side to side, like a shallow bell curve.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next