Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 08:29:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rain and its' affect  (Read 801 times)
johnwm73
House Bee

« on: April 29, 2009, 10:56:03 PM »

Had 5.38" of rain today. How will this affect the hives I have? I loaded both feeders up yesterday evening in preparation for the extended stay in the hives. Anything else i should do?
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:59:35 PM »

Hope you have them on high ground. Other than that not much you can do. doak
irekkin
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:35:19 PM »

i was looking at the noaa site and noticed you taxans & okies were getting some rain,but five inches,wow. i've heard you folks need the the rain though (just not all at once).hope ya'll don't get tornado's. good luck

when you're dumb, ya gotta be tough.
sarafina
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 11:51:10 PM »

Man, we are about to float away!  I live on the south side if Houston and we have gotten 18" of rain this month - most of it in the last 2 weeks!

I have my hives on cinder blocks in an area of my yard that NEVER floods and it got halfway up the blocks 3 times in the last 2 weeks.

I have a new hive I am feeding syrup and I slosh out there in the mornings to replace the quart jar.  All I can say is the mosquitoes are gonna be B-A-A-A-D in another week!  angry

I am hoping for better weather this weekend so I can check on my new hive (queen has been released - had to take a vacation day when it was clear to inspect because of all the rain) and also my year-old hive that has made a new queen.  Haven't found larvae yet so hoping I will soon!

Bees bringing in loads of pollen when it isn't raining, so they don't seem to mind all the rain.  My vegetable garden is another story.....   huh
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 04:27:25 AM »

Had 5.38" of rain today. How will this affect the hives I have?

The outsides will get wet.   grin
Rebel Rose Apiary
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 03:24:48 PM »

In central Illinois where I live, it seems that we have had rain every day since Easter. The rivers are flooding and more rain is predicted for the next week or so. The bees, well, they are taking it pretty good. I see them out between rainfalls and they are bringing in what pollen they can find. They must be finding nectar as well, since the intake of the sugar water is at a minimum.

The last snow and freezing temperatures effected them worse than the rain. I think they have gotten used to all of the rain. However, there is not that much pollen because of the rains and high winds.

Brenda
Two Bees
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 03:33:55 PM »

If you are expecting significant wind with these storms, perhaps another brick/block?

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next