Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 02, 2014, 04:34:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to expect with a new package going foundationless?  (Read 523 times)
Shawn
Queen Bee

« on: April 29, 2009, 07:35:27 PM »

I installed my package yesterday in temps just about 50 degrees. Today is in the high 80s and the bees seem to be gathering at the entrance and balling up on the outside, underside, of the outer cover. I put a frame feeder inside with some global patty on top of the frames. Are the bees just gathering their sences, are they wondering if they should take off, should I give them a few more days before opening the hive to put more syrup in? Just so everyone knows our order, another beek here, was shorted three packages and two queens. If someone gets those please let me know  grin
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:10:19 PM »

If a lot are gathering outside, I'd put a few drops of lemongrass essential oil in the hive if you have it.  A squirt of Lemon Pledge if you don't.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:19:07 PM »

Got some! Ill release the queen tomorrow and hopefully it will help. Ill check them tomorrow and fill up the feeder. If the lemongrass and the queen dont help Ill put the cut out frame from the one hive in. Its all natural so it should help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next