Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 31, 2014, 04:44:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yes they are there for you  (Read 2457 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: April 29, 2009, 05:44:15 PM »

I am no fan of political parties but this should rank right up there with treason I think. When someone voted into office under one banner and then switches over to the other banner is not representing the good folks that voted him into office.  rolleyes

Kind of like switching sides in a war don't you think?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 06:53:07 PM »

In my opinion, it is treason. Going against his sworn duties.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:01:17 PM »

What bothers me more than anything, is the deceptive way he went about it. Just a week ago, he was stating, quite assertively, that he had no intentions of changing parties.  rolleyes

The way I see it, if he's going to vote against most in his own party, he may as well switch.

Also consider that a Republican up north is considered a Democrat down here. grin
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:33:03 AM »

no loss.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 06:50:48 AM »

The way I see it, if he's going to vote against most in his own party, he may as well switch.

All politicians should vote the way they think right and not how their party tells them to vote. 

That being said, I think he's just trying desperately to keep his carreer.  His area has by in large turned democrat to the point where he had no chance of being reelected as a republican, even if in name only.

That being said, I do have to agree with him a little bit about democrats being closer to traditional conservative values in a few areas.  The environment is one of those.  Conservatives were the original environmentalists.  By in large the conservative group is made up of people who had a large stake in keeping the environment healthy.  They were the fishermen, the hunters, and the farmers.  For some reason though, between the 70's and 90's they let liberals (who typically live in cities where they never even get to see the environment) hijack environmentalism.  I have a theory on why that happened... I think it was likely fallout from the ever growing media coverage.  I think that as media coverage increased, the media began covering more minor events.  So they started covering things like the nutcases who threw paint on celebrities wearing fur, etc.  But conservative environmentalism didn't get any media coverage because it's boring and not news worthy.  Conservative environmentalism doesn't hold big rallies or protests, it doesn't throw paint or put draino in the gas tanks of bulldozers, it didn't do anything newsworthy.  So eventually environmentalism becaume almost synonymous with liberalism in most people's minds which is why today you see the likes of Limbaugh urging his followers to deliberately harm the environment.  Trouble is, environmentalism in its original form is the right course of action, and most of the farmers, hunters, and fishermen still understand that even though the party that they once trusted has been screaming the opposite to them.  So they are being alienated by their own party whose leaders now also live in cities where they don't have any use for or contact with the environment that the rest of us do.  So they are switching parties now... in this guy's area there has been a net shift of over 200,000 people headed the same way he is.

What I see happening now, and here's the thing that really scares me, is that I see democrats doing the same thing with freedom that they did with environmentalism.  The loss of freesdom over the last eight years has been staggering, and currently the most vocal republicans (Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, etc.) continue to be more than eager to give up that freedom in the name of safety and security which is never more than an illusion anyway... or in this case, to keep one more seat in the balance of power for the next couple years.  I'll tell you this much, you may not like what this guy did, but you should all thank God you live in a country where people still have the freedom to switch political affiliations.  Furthermore, not one soldier that died for this country did so to prevent people from being able to do that.  When I see republicans expressing that they think things like this should be capital offenses, I can't help but think to myself that if this continues much longer the very word "freedom" will come to be synonymous with democrats just like environmentalism has become synonymous with liberalism... and the republican party will lose the rest of the influence and credibility it has left.  Then we'll just be a one party system... and that's a far scarier thought than anything Obama might do in the next 3 and a half years.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:02:49 AM »

republicans were also the civil rights party.  dems hijacked that too.  the did both the same way.  they did  it with promises of government "help" and government controls.  when you promise people that you will make their lives better, they latch on to you.   when you don't keep your promise, you can at least say that you tried and that you care.  trying and caring score you big points.

dems hijacked conservation with land use laws, land grabs, restrictive pollution controls, CAFE laws, etc.  all the government controls showed how much they cared.

people do not think anymore.  they feel.  if the intent is good and makes the population feel good, then the actual results do not matter. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 01:28:50 PM »

GOOD RIDDANCE ARLEN !
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 09:52:41 PM »

republicans were also the civil rights party.  dems hijacked that too.  the did both the same way.  they did  it with promises of government "help" and government controls.  when you promise people that you will make their lives better, they latch on to you.   when you don't keep your promise, you can at least say that you tried and that you care.  trying and caring score you big points.

Oh I don't know about that, I think the republicans having Duke and friends had more of an effect than any of the social programs did on that.  It's hard to be the party racists flock to and still keep the image of being pro-civil rights.

dems hijacked conservation with land use laws, land grabs, restrictive pollution controls, CAFE laws, etc.  all the government controls showed how much they cared.

That probably also helped play into it.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 10:27:21 PM »

thought for sure you were talking about robert byrd.  all parties have their share of flakes.  if you look at the legislation and support for civil rights early on, it came from the republican party.

http://stoprepublicans.blogspot.com/

this site seems to be pretty good, but i must admit that i have not read the entire thing.  for the purposes of this conversation, the most important section is the 1st which deals with history. 
god bless public education for rewriting history and brainwashing the little droolers.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bodo
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 10:40:45 PM »

the guy went from

Liberal [R] to Liberal [D]

the REAL reason he did it was because he was going to lose the Primary if he ran as a Republican.  Just another reason why we need term limits.
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 01:08:53 AM »

the REAL reason he did it was because he was going to lose the Primary if he ran as a Republican.  Just another reason why we need term limits.

DING DING DING.  Right answer. Smiley

Observation suggests to me that most politicians have one objective, and that is to get re-elected, no matter the cost.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 01:18:24 AM »

DING DING DING.  Right answer. Smiley

Observation suggests to me that most politicians have one objective, and that is to get re-elected, no matter the cost.

Of course they want to get re-elected.  If they aren't who's going to keeping creating all those mess that they need to be re-elected to cure.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 06:26:15 AM »

All politicians should vote the way they think right and not how their party tells them to vote. 
 a far scarier thought than anything Obama might do in the next 3 and a half years.

WRONG they should vote the voice of the PEOPLE that voted them into office!!!!!!!!
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 06:36:39 AM »

WRONG they should vote the voice of the PEOPLE that voted them into office!!!!!!!!

If that were the case then we should do away with the representative republic and make it a full democracy where we go by popular vote for each item.
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 06:48:29 AM »

If that were the case then we should do away with the representative republic and make it a full democracy where we go by popular vote for each item.
SgtMaj,
Americans have been told so frequently "We live in a democracy" that they really don't understand that our Constitution created a Republic.
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 09:23:31 AM »

If they aren't who's going to keeping creating all those mess that they need to be re-elected to cure.

I'll bet C G Jung could have a field day with that one. Wink
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2009, 06:57:51 AM »

Arlen Specter was my state senator.He would have been in the Republican Primary against a man named Pat Toomey.Knowing that his record would doom him to loss against Toomey,he had to align himself with the democratic machine to be able to get the money to try to save his seat.If teh people in the majority of the state get out and vote against the eastern corridor of Philly to Scranton,Arlen will be history. The flyover of PA has no need for Spectre.

Don't forget the Democrats have Ernest Hollings ,a former Ku Klux Klan member if you want to bring up Duke.
Here is a good little read:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080424031312AAj699n
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2009, 09:04:12 AM »

Don't forget the Democrats have Ernest Hollings ,a former Ku Klux Klan member if you want to bring up Duke.
Here is a good little read:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080424031312AAj699n

Good point, but he has a knack for avoiding the spotlight while Duke doesn't... which gives the general public only the one perspective.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 09:05:59 AM »

Avoiding the spotlight only because the media doesn't care. If they did,he would never have been in the office as long as he had.And lets not forget Robert Byrd of WV former klan member.
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 11:20:53 AM »

the guy went from

Liberal [R] to Liberal [D]

We have term limits you  huh and VOTE then OUT !!

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next