Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 11:56:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swine Flu  (Read 1299 times)
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« on: April 29, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »

Have yaw been keeping up with this? seems it is everywhere and getting worst....

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 04:33:40 PM »

Being that I am in Texas, yes, I have been keeping up with it. The first US death from it was in the news this morning- a toddler from Mexico City. I don't know if he was here prior to the announcement of the swine flu outbreak last Friday, or if he was brought here after we were advised of the outbreak. I haven't heard where in Texas he was, but there were three documented cases in Dallas- that's only 60 miles from me. I'm laying low for now.
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 04:44:24 PM »

I read the child had symptoms three weeks ago.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 04:48:29 PM »

Here is a bit of it

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_re_us/us_swine_flu_death

The boy, who was nearly 2 years old, arrived in the border city of Brownsville with "underlying health issues" on April 4 and developed flu symptoms four days later, the Texas Department of State Health Services said. He was taken to a Brownsville hospital April 13 and transferred to the following day to a hospital in Houston, where he died Monday night.

Texas Health Services Commissioner Dr. David Lakey said it is "highly likely" the child contracted the illness in Mexico, though that hasn't been confirmed. The boy is one of 16 confirmed swine flu cases in Texas, where Gov. Rick Perry has issued a disaster declaration and schools have shut down across the state out of fear of the virus.

The cause of the boy's death was pneumonia caused by the flu virus, Cameron County Judge Carlos Cascos said. Texas Children's Hospital, where the boy died, said in a statement he was suffering from "acute respiratory illness."

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »

Thanks Jerrymac. I had not heard the details. So it sounds like the swine flu was getting going about three weeks (at least) before we heard anything about it.  As much travel as Americans do in and to Mexico, and as many people as we having crossing the border on a continuous basis, I'm surprised it's not worse than it seems to be so far.
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 06:50:01 PM »

Yeah, its sounding bad everywhere. I really feel it may become a lot worse before its over.  I caught it in 1979 while in the US Army in Korea, was 29 years old and it kick the snot out of me.  Couldn't stand up for two weeks, and that was the best part of it.  Even a month later the least bit of exertion and I would break out in a sweat.

Booked a week long cruise to Mexico six months ago. Due to leave May 2nd.  They have now changed our port calls.  Will know tonight what they will be.  Hope its not the Caribbean.  Been there, done that, didn't care for it.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 03:51:19 AM »

Its a beat up.

Do you know how many people die from the complications of ordinary flu every day? About 20,000!

Although, with Dallas and all his Mexicans wiping their snozzes on their sleeves, if its real, it will be seen in Florida!

I reckon its just orchestrated by QANGOS to get more funding, and run with by Govts. to keep people scared, yet again.

Its a fact, Governments around the world want to keep people SCARED. SCARED people are easily manipulated. It was Commies in the 50s, AIDS in the 80s, Y2K, SARS, now this Mexican  El Toro pig/bird/lizard/human thing. What on earth were those mexicans eating to start this thing going?

Its not fatal to healthy robust people like you and me, but like all flus`, it can lead to pneumonia, and that really knocks off the young and the old.

It is nice to hear ole Barra encouraging people to wash their hands and nor blow snot all over people. Of course, my PM, as a lacky of Obama after only 100 days, has repeated the same thing.

I carry those alcohol tissues in my pack for when I am touching things, like trains, shopping trolleys etc. Plus you can drink em if you get thirsty!

Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 09:42:12 AM »

We've been talking about this in another thread as well.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,21618.0.html
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »

While reading some of this stuff one would come to the conclusion that people are indeed stupid.

VP Biden gave some good advice. Stay off plains and subways..... (Me; any public transportation)

But then the White House was afraid it would cause a panic  rolleyes and changed it up to.... if you are sick keep off....

Are people that scared of things? 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:40:11 AM by Jerrymac » Logged

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 12:34:35 PM »

i suspect that they are afraid of the damage that may be done to commerce.  if people panic and stay home, stuff goes undone.  they are also concerned about trade and travel.

i am watching this with some interest.  what we don't know may be more important that what they are telling us.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 12:53:25 PM »

I stopped at my local convenience store and every newspaper had the "Swine Flu" headline.  rolleyes  On one hand we have the Media Ratings Race on who can frighten the most people and on the other, the Gov trying to tell us otherwise. I have good friends in the Mil and they send me bits and pieces of info they are privy to, ( but I don't get the juicy stuff  angry )  their take is the swine Flu is a non issue at this point and just continue practicing good hygiene and situation awareness, there are worse bugs out there to pick up.  Sad
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 02:19:04 PM »

I just found out last night that I can help from catching diseases by washing my hands and covering my sneezes!!  Thanks Mombama!! rolleyes

Rick
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 12:58:42 AM »

While reading some of this stuff one would come to the conclusion that people are indeed stupid.

Are people that scared of things? 

The short answer to the question is yes. I believe it is related to your first statement, or  more accurately, there's a high correlation between the level of fear and the level of ignorance of a mass of people.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next