Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 23, 2014, 12:43:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Varroa ?  (Read 546 times)
oldenglish
House Bee

« on: April 28, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »

On each of my hives I have the white pullout inspection board, I hived four packages 4 weeks ago (two different suppliers) I expected to see a few mites come in on the packages, however so far not a one ?
Assuming I got lucky and they are mite free (bad assumption ?), I dont expect them to stay that way for long, when should I expect to start seeing them ?

Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »

Most packages are treated before you get them.   In general,  varroa is not an issue the first year.   The 2nd year if where you will start running into issues.   This is situation that gets new beekeepers in trouble when they try non-conventional methods of controlling varroa.  They think their methods work and then the 2nd year get clobbered.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

eri
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »

Most packages are treated before you get them. 

What are they treated with and how? Just curious.

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 03:37:55 PM »

that's the nice thing about a new hive, swarm or package  smiley.  the brood break reduces the numbers, and as robo said, the packages have usually been treated.

when you do find mites, don't panic.  you are going to have them.  the key is to monitor mite load and have a plan for that time when your mite load is unacceptable.  every board i pulled had a few mites on it.  1/2 a dozen or so.   the one that got me worried, had many.   that hive got treated with apiguard. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:56:01 PM »

What are they treated with and how? Just curious.

Used to be Apistan, but that was years ago when that was really the only treatment option. I haven't purchased package in over 10 years, so have no clue what the norm is now,  but I imagine it differs by breeder these days as there are many more options.

One thing that is often overlooked with packages is small hive beetles.   If you don't have them in your apiary yet, buying packages increased your chances of getting your yard infected.

rob...

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next