Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 27, 2014, 01:09:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hive ready but no bees yet, so...  (Read 504 times)
VTnewbee
New Bee

« on: April 28, 2009, 07:33:15 AM »

Since I have my hive painted, and my cinder blocks all set up and ready to go, but the nuc I ordered won't be ready for a while, I was wondering if it's okay to set the hive up outside now, or if I should wait until I get the call to come pick up my bees?  The call should come in the next few weeks I hope.  Is it possible that a feral colony would move into my hive and then I wouldn't need to buy bees, or is that highly unlikely?  Or are feral colonies bad for newbees anyway?  Is it likely that wasps or wax moths or some other pest could move in and cause a mess?  What does an aspiring beekeeper do these few weeks of waiting, besides tapping their fingers waiting for "the phone call"?   delivery
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:10:16 AM »

Go ahead and set them up.  While it is possible a swarm will move in, it is highly unlikely.  A wild swarm is just a package that arrives by flying themselves instead of flying in by UPS Smiley  Unless of course you are in African bee country, which I think that you are not.

Wax moths won't typically bother foundation, and you could get a little wasp nest, but they won't have time to do much.

If it gets too hot or sun though you could get your foundation melting...so that is a good reason not to.

What to do while waiting? Read, plan, plot.  You could see about getting on some swarm lists.

But now would be a good time to take up a more lucrative hobby  tongue

Rick

Rick
Two Bees
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 08:21:17 AM »

Agree with Scad.  If you have wired your brood foundation, that will minimize any warping of the foundation.  Also, if you have painted/stained your hive boxes, then, putting them outside will allow them to air out a bit before the occupants arrive.  I had a friend who hived two packages last week and lost both of them.  We suspect that the paint fumes MAY have had something to do with their leaving.

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.
Doby45
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:21:20 AM »

I agree.  Set them out and let them start soaking up the outdoors smell.  If you are concerned about the heat remove the frames and set just the boxes up outside.  Then put the frames in a day or two before the girls get there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next