Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 26, 2014, 06:27:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packaged Bees installed April 7th.. today, April 27th 3 Queen cells!  (Read 520 times)
samwise
New Bee

« on: April 27, 2009, 10:35:57 PM »

Today I looked for the queen for the first time after I removed the queen cage.. had all plasticell foundation that the bees are drawing out nicely.... but today I really looked for my queen, she has a green dot on her back... should be easy to find... never saw her.. saw larvae in different stages of growing so I know she is/was there... but, I never saw her...

but what I did see, surprised me... 3 Queen cells! 2 on one frame about 2 inches from each other...  and another 1 on another frame... VERY prominant..

Uhm, are these supercedure cells... or did the queen die & they had larve young enough to turn into Queens...

I've got a local Bee Keeper that I hope comes tomorow... So weird!  This is my first year with bees and I have 3 hives and am REALLY enjoying it.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:10:07 PM »

Yes, you have supercedure cells.  My advise it to let it happen.  The bees don't like the current queen for some reason and are intent of replacing her.  Any interference from the beekeeper will usually just make things worse.  If the hive is built up enough already and there are supercedure cells on more than one frame you might consider doing a split in order to insure a live queen.  Queen can get lost for a number of reasons so having 2 queens is better than having none.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:31:30 AM »

...but today I really looked for my queen, she has a green dot on her back... should be easy to find... never saw her.. saw larvae in different stages of growing so I know she is/was there... but, I never saw her...
More often than not I don't see the queen. I just want to see evidence that she's been laying recently.

but what I did see, surprised me... 3 Queen cells!
It's not unusual for package bees to decide they don't like the queen that came with the package and supercede her.

This is my first year with bees and I have 3 hives and am REALLY enjoying it.
The fun has just begun...  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next