Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 20, 2014, 05:06:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Observation  (Read 418 times)
Tucker1
House Bee

"The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....

« on: April 27, 2009, 10:29:19 PM »

Late this afternoon I spent some time refilling the boardman feeders on my hives. It had been cool and very windy most of the day; and by 5:00PM the temperature was just about 50 with a very strong wind from the south west. When I finished refilling the feeders, I double checked my hives before heading for home.

On top of one of the hives, I found 5 worker bees positioned head to head in a very tight star shaped pattern. Each of the heads were touching and the star shaped pattern was very uniform. Their bodies were straight and not curdled up as they are when they die. The bees were alive but very sluggish. I'm suspecting that the strong wind and cool/cold air had taken away all of their energy. It was cloudy, so there was no warmth coming from the sun. These we the only bees I found outside of the hives.

It was odd that they chose to face each other in the manner. I don't expect it really means anything.

Has anyone seen something like this before ? huh huh huh

Regards,
Tucker

p.s.  I placed them into the hive, assuming this was their home.

He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:06:51 PM »

They often take that formation when feeding each other.  One bee is feeding all the rest so one bee takes a bite and passes it one around the circle.  They also use a similar formation when capping cured honey or brood when a large area has to be capped.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next