Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 09:38:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pontiac  (Read 1444 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: April 27, 2009, 07:31:16 PM »

Pontiac is joining the ranks of Edsels and Studebakers. Back in the day Pontuac was the best GM car made. Then oldsmobile, then Buick, and I never cared much for Chevrolets. But the way cars have been since 1973, I'm really not too upset about it. Just won't have the Pontiac name running around any more.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 07:50:10 PM »

there goes the trans-am's, and the new GTO's, guest they will be collector items

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:21:13 PM »

i think we are going to be forced into dinky cars.  another way of population control!

4 years ago, a friend of mine was in a head on.  the other driver was killed and my friend suffered severe injuries that have changed her life.

2 days ago, i was out in the pasture and heard a huge crash out on the freeway.  by the time i got across the fields and out there, EMS was on scene.  an SUV had t-boned a compact car.  the little car had been shoved across the road and the SUV was on its top across the freeway.  speeds coming down that hill are about 60 mph.  little car had the light and was turning left.  SUV ran light and hit the little car at full speed on drivers side.

mother and daughter in little car were killed.  SUV driver injured, but not life threatening.  pretty messy scene.  an advertisement for big cars.  also a reminder that life can be quite short and end suddenly.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:09:02 AM »

Pontiacs aren't exactly giant cars... I have yet to see one that would be much of match for a Suburban or Expedition barelling down the road at 60mph. 

People just need to learn that they have to be alert and share the road.  Few accidents can't be avoided by the drivers being alert and willing to let someone else go first even if they didn't have the right of way.

But I guess when we do something every day, we get complacent after a while.
deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:12:08 AM »

... an advertisement for big cars.

so, the little car is decimated by the big car...so the problem is that the little car is too small?  perhaps if the suv had been a hatchback there would have been less carnage?  it reminds me of one of my favorite deep purple bootlegs: "turn everything up louder than everything else".

deknow
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 09:28:48 AM »

... an advertisement for big cars.

so, the little car is decimated by the big car...so the problem is that the little car is too small?  perhaps if the suv had been a hatchback there would have been less carnage? 
deknow

see now this is how the government thinks, blaming it on the SUV, when you are driving a tin can and get hit buy another tin can going 60 mph do you still think you are safe, you should see what it looks like when one of them small cars is hit by a motorcycle, about cuts them small cars in half. the old saying is save money on gas and drive small cars, or pay more for gas and be safer on the highways, YOU CHOOSE I drive a quad cab 3/4 ton Diesel 4x4 that weights over 7000 pounds unloaded, SUV's dont weight in near that  evil , I feel pretty safe when driving and still get 20 mpg.

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 09:49:31 AM »

Some of us need those larger vehicles to do the things we do. Not just because we like larger vehicles. But possibly those that drive the larger vehicles just because they want to probably have figured out that they are safer.

One of the least protected people on the road is the guy on the motorcycle. And I am sure we have all seen some of those people do some of the craziest things and wonder, "What was he thinking?"

I have seen people in little cars cut in front of a semi-truck and slam on the brakes so they can make a turn. Those people don't have a clue about what it takes to stop that truck. More to the point, they don't care. I have seen them acting just as though they are the only ones on the road.

Anyway, all my Pontiacs were great cars. All my Chevys were problems.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »

so, the little car is decimated by the big car...so the problem is that the little car is too small

sorry, i was having a bad night yesterday  smiley.  the whole point of that part of the post is that both drivers were in honda civics.  one killed, one many months in the hospital with permanent disability.

does that make a little more sense  Sad

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:28:49 PM »

I need a big car.  I am 6'7" 250 lbs.  and drive an expedition.  I look a shriner in most cars.  High gas, low gas,  it doesn't matter to me.  I have no chouce but to drive a big vehicle. Pontiac is not a big vehicle, but the GTO of the early 70's is truly a classic.

Brian
dpence
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 10:42:33 PM »

I'm not much into the pregnant roller-skate type vehicles.  I like being comfortable in my ride.  I have had decent luck with GM vehicles.  Had a Buick Park Avenue that was perfect for long trips.  Haven't had any Pontiacs, but buddy's had Trans-Am and LeMans, we ran the wheels off them.  I had an '01 SS Camaro which was a great mid-life car, didn't see much difference between it and the WS-6, same engine.  My S-10 has 270K on it, still runs great.  I drive a Crew Cab 4X4 Colorado now, gets 21 mpg, I can't complain.  Nonetheless Pontiacs were great cars...remember the GTO Judge? 

David
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 04:30:20 AM »

I need a big car.  I am 6'7" 250 lbs.  and drive an expedition.  I look a shriner in most cars.  High gas, low gas,  it doesn't matter to me.  I have no chouce but to drive a big vehicle.

If you want a choice... go test drive one of the new impalas.  Believe me, with a 38 inch inseam, I feel your pain, but I have lots of legroom and headroom in my wife's '02 impala, and it's been a surprisingly tough vehicle... a couple years back a lady in an old oldsmobile her vehicle was destroyed by the accident, radiator pushed in, hood and front quarter panels all took heavy damage... but the impala barely had a scratch on it... just enough that you could tell where her liscense plate hit the bumper.  It really surprised me, because like most people I assumed the more steel in the vehicle, the better, but I guess there's more to it than that.  Anyway, with our driving habits we get between 31 and 32 mpg from the Impala, and it's got a heck of a lot of get up and go too.  I've never been left wanting for power with it (I got the LS model with the V6 3.8L engine).

You wanna see a shriner... my first vehicle ever was a geo metro.  lau  Didn't last long before it was totalled in a highway accident, but I and my passenger both walked away without injury (except a bit of whiplash, which really does hurt like hell).
deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 08:42:21 AM »

... a couple years back a lady in an old oldsmobile her vehicle was destroyed by the accident, radiator pushed in, hood and front quarter panels all took heavy damage... but the impala barely had a scratch on it... just enough that you could tell where her liscense plate hit the bumper.  It really surprised me, because like most people I assumed the more steel in the vehicle, the better, but I guess there's more to it than that.

this isn't surprising at all.  most modern vehicles are made to "crumple" on impact (especially the front).  the crumpling absorbs the impact rather than transmitting it to the occupants.  on the plus side, it is safer....on the minus side, more damage to the vehicle in smaller accidents (likely to total the car).  think of crushing a beercan against your forehead...if you crush the sides (or push it on an angle), the force is used up in crushing the can...if not, the can stays intact, and the force pushing it into your forehead goes right to your forehead (and the red circle that results)....not that i've ever done such a thing  afro

deknow
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »

... a couple years back a lady in an old oldsmobile her vehicle was destroyed by the accident, radiator pushed in, hood and front quarter panels all took heavy damage... but the impala barely had a scratch on it... just enough that you could tell where her liscense plate hit the bumper.  It really surprised me, because like most people I assumed the more steel in the vehicle, the better, but I guess there's more to it than that.

this isn't surprising at all.  most modern vehicles are made to "crumple" on impact (especially the front).  the crumpling absorbs the impact rather than transmitting it to the occupants.  on the plus side, it is safer....on the minus side, more damage to the vehicle in smaller accidents (likely to total the car).  think of crushing a beercan against your forehead...if you crush the sides (or push it on an angle), the force is used up in crushing the can...if not, the can stays intact, and the force pushing it into your forehead goes right to your forehead (and the red circle that results)....not that i've ever done such a thing  afro

deknow

But that's exactly what's so surprising about it... my newer smaller car barely had a scratch, her old tank looked like it had run into a brick wall at 50mph.  Neither one of us were hurt.
deknow
Field Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »

But that's exactly what's so surprising about it... my newer smaller car barely had a scratch, her old tank looked like it had run into a brick wall at 50mph.  Neither one of us were hurt.

am i to understand that you were rear ended?  the "crumple zone" is generally the front end (it's less common to back into something at a high rate of speed).  the other car crumpled, and absorbed much of the impact so that little of the energy was transmitted to your car.

deknow
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »

am i to understand that you were rear ended?  the "crumple zone" is generally the front end (it's less common to back into something at a high rate of speed).  the other car crumpled, and absorbed much of the impact so that little of the energy was transmitted to your car.

deknow

Yeah, that's what happened, only I didn't think they had crumple zones on 1980-something model oldsmobiles... When I say this thing was old I mean it was OLD.  One of the old land-yachts with the solid steel body.  But it crumpled up while my 2002 impala barely took a scratch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next