Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 12:14:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earth Day  (Read 5268 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 10:20:08 AM »

jerrymac, you have to be wrong.  didn't you read this??   

Anyway, if 100% of the climatologists, and 90some-odd % of all scientists aren't going to convince you,

in fact, more and more scientists are speaking out about their doubts and some actually believe that data supports a period of global cooling.....where have i heard that?  oh, in the 70's when we were all supposed to be dead or huddled around the equator by now!

we also were supposed to be dead from famine, hoofing it because we would have no oil, etc.....

if you want an interesting and probably true theory on why these panic topics come up every 10 years or so, read "State Of Fear". 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »

Anyway, if 100% of the climatologists, and 90some-odd % of all scientists aren't going to convince you,

if you want an interesting and probably true theory on why these panic topics come up every 10 years or so, read "State Of Fear". 
[/quote]

No its plain and simple. Fear begets money Govt. is paying scientist to test for Global Warming so they find "evidence" then they get more grant money to further study.
With out global warming alot of scientist would be out of work.

Keith
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2009, 12:30:36 PM »

It really doesn't help credibility when the leading proponent has so many financial sticks in that fire, and the leader of his posse is advocating criminal behaviour.
[soapbox] rant
When most of the hot air providers own mansions, giant boats, and commute farther than I ever will? (oh, but it runs on 50% (or something like that) vegetable oil! hooray!  Saving the world one rape seed plant at a time!)

Oh, and when Mr. President burns up 9000 gallons of jet fuel just to celebrate Earth day? (20 years worth of gas for my family)

They can shove it.  Really far.

I'm still driving my v8 van, leaving a light on or two, and generally finding ways of saving money anywhere I can.  I really enjoyed burning a pile of wood while camping over the weekend.

Any little thing I can do is spit compared to what they SHOULD be doing.   But they faithfully pay their carbon footprint credits (GUFFAW!!!)

When they really start living like they really believe it, then I'll start paying a little attention.  So far they got nuthin'.
[/soapbox]

Rick

Rick
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »

Any little thing I can do is spit compared to what they SHOULD be doing.   But they faithfully pay their carbon footprint credits (GUFFAW!!!)

When they really start living like they really believe it, then I'll start paying a little attention.  So far they got nuthin'.
[/soapbox]

Rick

I presume you don't go to the doctor either, because there are a few back alley scammers?  I would suggest still going, just not to the doctor that's more interrested in your money than your health.

I'm still driving my v8 van, leaving a light on or two, and generally finding ways of saving money anywhere I can.

Here's your sign.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »

I thought you were talking about the CO2 being the cause and people being the major factor in the CO2 emissions. I am so sorry we were talking about the same thing, that being a natural climate change. Something we can do nothing about by the way. It is a natural occurrence.

We've apparantly been arguing over the same thing... except that I do think we might be able to do a little something about it... not enough to stop it entirely, but maybe enough to slow it just a tad bit.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2009, 11:40:10 AM »

My problem with the scammers is that the scammers are the biggest proponents, the ones telling us what to do.  No, I wouldn't go to the doctor if the loudest doctors were telling me I needed an enema to fix my headache. evil

Not all science is true.

Rick

Rick
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2009, 12:34:53 PM »

I'm still driving my v8 van, leaving a light on or two, and generally finding ways of saving money anywhere I can.

Here's your sign.

Thanks, but "it'd be my sign" if I tried pulling my camper with a Prius with 5 kids in the car with me!! (yeah, I just caught that insult butt kick lau )  Or if I were to junk my van and spend $20,000 on a brand new vehicle. grin

My family of 7 still has a fraction of the "carbon footprint" of 99% of the stars, politicians, and global warming advocates.  And that is without any deliberate recycling or trying to save the environment, just trying to use our common sense and reduce our use because more use costs more money.

And I'm guessing that most of us here are also in that same boat. 

I don't need an Earth Day.  I try to celebrate the Creation everyday and be a good steward without the crazy "do as I say" environmentalism.

Rick

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »

about that enema......you know that constipation can cause headaches?   evil

I'm sorry

that was just to easy and i couldn't help myself......

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2009, 01:31:45 PM »

about that enema......you know that constipation can cause headaches?   evil

I'm sorry

that was just to easy and i couldn't help myself......
banana devil banana devil banana devil You bad grin

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2009, 01:58:50 PM »

Here's your sign.

Thanks, but "it'd be my sign" if I tried pulling my camper with a Prius with 5 kids in the car with me!! (yeah, I just caught that insult butt kick lau )  Or if I were to junk my van and spend $20,000 on a brand new vehicle. grin

My family of 7 still has a fraction of the "carbon footprint" of 99% of the stars, politicians, and global warming advocates.  And that is without any deliberate recycling or trying to save the environment, just trying to use our common sense and reduce our use because more use costs more money.

And I'm guessing that most of us here are also in that same boat. 

I don't need an Earth Day.  I try to celebrate the Creation everyday and be a good steward without the crazy "do as I say" environmentalism.

Rick

The here's your sign was about leaving the lights on while trying to find ways to save money...  grin
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »

My problem with the scammers is that the scammers are the biggest proponents, the ones telling us what to do.  No, I wouldn't go to the doctor if the loudest doctors were telling me I needed an enema to fix my headache. evil

Not all science is true.

Rick

So you wouldn't go see a good doctor if another doctor was screaming, say on T.V. paid advertizing spots to buy their new amazing wonder-pill?  Because that's happening already.  So you're never going to see another doctor because the ones on T.V. are trying to sell you a load of crap? 

So some people are trying to sell a pile of crap called carbon credits... so what?  I don't see how that suddenly makes it ok to dump mercury in the water.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2009, 02:20:27 PM »

I don't see how that suddenly makes it ok to dump mercury in the water

i could not find any post here that said that was ok.  you do know that a great deal of the mercury "contamination" that is found world wide, both in air and water, is naturally occurring?  volcanos are a great source of atmospheric contamination with mercuray.  they also belch huge amounts of other contaminates.  perhaps we should make a law against exploding mountains.  that would solve many problems!

Alexis de Tocqueville
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 02:45:29 PM »

I don't see how that suddenly makes it ok to dump mercury in the water

i could not find any post here that said that was ok.  you do know that a great deal of the mercury "contamination" that is found world wide, both in air and water, is naturally occurring?  volcanos are a great source of atmospheric contamination with mercuray.  they also belch huge amounts of other contaminates.  perhaps we should make a law against exploding mountains.  that would solve many problems!

When was the last time a mountain exploded in this country?  By far the biggest contributor to mercury in our waterways is from the coal power plants.  Technically, that is naturally occurring mercury, but it doesn't enter our waterways until it gets mined.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2009, 10:22:04 PM »

The here's your sign was about leaving the lights on while trying to find ways to save money...  grin

Its ok, I was using CFL's before it was cool even though they are full of mercury:).  They last longer if you leave them on longer, ironically. 

The problem with the doctor comparison is it would be like the surgeon general and many doctors in charge telling us quack things.  Like Al Gore, Jim Hansen, Henry Waxman, oh, and our president.  The loudest voices lost me a long time ago.  And they are in the process of trying to implement a very expensive tax that will mostly affect those that can afford it the least.  Last time Al Gore did something similar our phone bills jumped up.  Now he's working on our electricity bill.  And they will try to pass it off as not a tax, like they tried with the phone tax.

Oh..and Mt. Redoubt is in the process of exploding  Wink  http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Redoubt.php
Belching lots of sulfer dioxide at least. (I do something similar, but not with sulfur dioxide  grin)

Rick

Rick
dragonfly
House Bee

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:49 PM »

volcanos are a great source of atmospheric contamination with mercuray.  they also belch huge amounts of other contaminates.  perhaps we should make a law against exploding mountains.  that would solve many problems!

Unfortunately, banning exploding mountains  would also kill the planet. Wink I suspect that many  earth activists/ environmentalists don't realize that our planet exists and thrives because of its history of climate extremes and planetary chaos. Without them, we would not exist. Or maybe that's what they really want. huh
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 04:01:22 AM »

Its ok, I was using CFL's before it was cool even though they are full of mercury:).

Yup, but even with the 4mg of mercury they have in them, over their lifetime, using an incandescent bulb in it's place will cause more than twice that much mercury to be released from the 51% of your power that comes from coal sources (nationwide average, some areas like mine get a higher percentage of power from coal than others).  Also, unlike the mercury released from fossil plant emissions, you can do something to prevent the mercury in CFL's from being released.  Every Home Depot as well as most household hazardous waste centers will take them in for recycling now.  Oh yeah, and some of the newer models of CFL bulbs only have 1.75mg of mercury.

But either way, even if it were an LED light... even only a couple of watts used constantly is a few more cents you'll spend on the next power bill.  Turning out the lights behind you has to be one of the easiest ways to save a few bucks.

They last longer if you leave them on longer, ironically.

That's true.  CFL's are really not all that different than regular flourescent bulbs and the ballasts will last longer if left on all the time.  I do have to wonder if it's worth the expense of the extra electricity useage though.  I tend to think not, but I have no data to back that up, purely an uneducated guess on that one.

The problem with the doctor comparison is it would be like the surgeon general and many doctors in charge telling us quack things.  Like Al Gore, Jim Hansen, Henry Waxman, oh, and our president.  The loudest voices lost me a long time ago.  And they are in the process of trying to implement a very expensive tax that will mostly affect those that can afford it the least.  Last time Al Gore did something similar our phone bills jumped up.  Now he's working on our electricity bill.  And they will try to pass it off as not a tax, like they tried with the phone tax.

Just because the public policy is bad, doesn't mean private actions aren't needed. 

Let me put it another way, you can still be a Christian (or insert whatever alternate religion you may be here) even though there are many leaders of many Christian groups/churches/sects/whatever that you don't agree with, many of which you may think are just in it for the money (many of them are).  Because what they do doesn't invalidate Christianity, it just makes them douchebags.  The same goes with "Al Gore, Jim Hansen, Henry Waxman, oh, and our president."

Oh..and Mt. Redoubt is in the process of exploding  Wink  http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Redoubt.php
Belching lots of sulfer dioxide at least. (I do something similar, but not with sulfur dioxide  grin)

LOL, true enough, but I don't think Mt Redoubt was responsible for my favorite fishing lake being closed to fishing due to high levels of lead and mercury in the fish, or all the other lakes and rivers around here (with the exception of one) that are no longer safe to consume any fish from either... or the entire Clinch river fishery that was decimated from the Kingston flyash slide.

Yes, no one should ever buy a carbon credit, but that does not mean that we (as a nation) don't need to get away from fossil fuels.  We need to ditch gasoline because it's bad for our economy and security, and we need to ditch coal because it's aweful for our health and the environment around us.  We already have better, cheaper alternatives available, all we have to do is make the switch.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:33:00 AM by SgtMaj » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next