Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 09:03:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wine barrel  (Read 1758 times)
Shawn
Queen Bee

« on: April 25, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »

Our local gardening store got some whole and half wine barrels. I bought one to fill with water for the bees. Will the bees use it? I thought of buying another to plant some flowers in for the summer. Any suggestions for what flowers to plant in them? Here are some pictures of the half barerl. Cost $27.00.

Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 07:06:14 AM »

Will the bees use it?

It depends on other water sources in the area.  Just make sure you fill it with rocks or some type of float to prevent drowning.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »

Thanks Robo. I put cork in the barrel to float on the top. I use to have a small rubber bowl but the bees would not go on the cork. Mow the bees fly straight to the cork and get their drink.
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:44:13 PM »

Shawn you can plant most anything in a barrel like that, it just depends whether you want to do perrenials and have them return every year or whether you want to try new things every year.
I have 2 in my front yard and I do annuals in them because I like to change plants for the seasons.
I usually do impatiens with some ivy around the edges, sometimes million bells whatever strikes my fancy at the garden store and will do well where the barrels are located.
In the fall I switch over to mums and tuck in small pumpkins and hang indian corn on the front.
Winter I put small holly or mini pine trees etc.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:54:07 PM »

they are great for lots of things.  this year i am doing all my potatoes in buckets.  flowers go great, or veggies that you don't want lost in the weeds. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Shawn
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 05:43:59 PM »

Good ideas! We are headed off to the green house close to mothers day, maybe a little beofre so I can get some good selection. I still am looking for sea holly so hopefully they will have some.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:31:13 PM »

they are great for lots of things.  this year i am doing all my potatoes in buckets.  flowers go great, or veggies that you don't want lost in the weeds. 

That's a great way to grow and harvest potatoes, I call them Spuduckets.   grin

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 10:13:41 AM »

I had planned on doing my potatoes that way this year as well but the wine barrels are too expensive around here and I needed alot of them.
I planted 13 different types of potatoes this year so I used wood frames that I got from the fence company for free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next