Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 24, 2014, 08:25:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gasping for Air?  (Read 9484 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 11:50:30 PM »

in year 1 i get a budget for 2000 dollars.  in year 2 i submit a budget for 3000 dollars but find 200 dollars of cuts i can make.  show me how my 200 dollars of cuts is a spending cut?  it's not.  it just not as much of a spending increase.

obama asked for suggestions.  that doesn't mean he'll take them.   he just promised 3% of the gdp for sciences.  where will he get that?  he's already planned more spending than the government takes in.  he's already promised to raise taxes on the "rich" and broken the promise not to raise other taxes by raising tobacco taxes.  he's planning an energy program that will cost families 1000's per year in added cost, and promised that the government will help offset the cost.  on top of that, he's promised a new health care program. 

something is going to have to give.  where do you think he'll get the money for his programs?  i guarantee it won't come from a few million saved out of federal department budgets.  it won't come from the rich either.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2009, 12:25:06 AM »

Call me simple minded but all I know is that you can't spend yourself into wealth nor save money by saving a dime while spending a dollar. 

The government is like the Pollock that discovered WalMart.  He saved so much money shopping there that he quit his job to save money fulltime.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 12:44:23 AM »

in year 1 i get a budget for 2000 dollars.  in year 2 i submit a budget for 3000 dollars but find 200 dollars of cuts i can make.  show me how my 200 dollars of cuts is a spending cut?

Simple, assume you have a 50% inflation rate... get it now?

obama asked for suggestions.  that doesn't mean he'll take them.

This is true, and if he doesn't, then he absolutely deserves to be lambasted.  I'll even volunteer to lead the charge.

he just promised 3% of the gdp for sciences.  where will he get that?  he's already planned more spending than the government takes in.  he's already promised to raise taxes on the "rich" and broken the promise not to raise other taxes by raising tobacco taxes.  he's planning an energy program that will cost families 1000's per year in added cost, and promised that the government will help offset the cost.  on top of that, he's promised a new health care program. 

something is going to have to give.  where do you think he'll get the money for his programs?  i guarantee it won't come from a few million saved out of federal department budgets.  it won't come from the rich either.

Guess we'll just have to see what actually happens.  I personally believe that spending more on research leads to breakthrough technologies that help the GDP... it's kinda got a track record for doing that.  
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2009, 04:02:02 AM »

What popped into my head when I saw this was all that money spent on the bailouts and then all the money it would take for all these other programs Obama would like to do. Now he is asking the government workers where to cut spending.

In these tough times I am really sure they will suggest anything that might cause them to loose their jobs or cut their pay.

All this water (spending) pouring down on him so he is grasping at straws (small spending cuts) to keep from drowning.

Seems he can see where to spend money but needs others to point to where to save.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2009, 04:20:36 AM »

Once upon a time I used to install PBX phone systems.  Every year the company I worked for installed a brand new half-million dollar system with all new cabling in a Social Security office.  The systems we were installing were built to last a minimum of 30 years.  There wasn't anything wrong with the old systems we replaced each year there either.  So why did they replace it every year in an office in a po-dunk little town?  Because if they didn't, their budget would have been reduced by that amount, then in 40 or 50 years when they really did need a new system, they wouldn't be able to get one.  The same office also replaces all of their computers, printers, chairs and desks.  What they spend on new equipment alone is I'm sure far more than what they pay all the employees that work there.

I think there is a whole lot of opportunity to make cuts to the budget there without cutting into a single paycheck.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2009, 06:46:28 AM »

You are the one who is claiming Obama is cutting budgets, and calling everyone cluseless who can see he obviously isn't cutting anything.  So, sling your slurs around and pretend to be a fiscal conservative.  I misread nothing, including where you're actually coming from.

I might believe you were genuinely scared of his politics if you had displayed any of the same fear when Bush was wiping out our freedom and constitutional guarantees while increasing government spending and waste by over $1 Trillion per year... but you didn't, plus you expressed in this reply that you want the president to do exactly what he's been doing, so I must assume it's something else you're afraid of.
Again, you make a lot of assumptions based on what's going on in your own head.  There's no discussing anything with someone who thinks he knows all and sees all.  Buh-bye.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2009, 06:54:58 AM »

You are the one who is claiming Obama is cutting budgets, and calling everyone cluseless who can see he obviously isn't cutting anything.  So, sling your slurs around and pretend to be a fiscal conservative.  I misread nothing, including where you're actually coming from.

You're right... asking for ways to cut the budget isn't about budget cuts, whatever was I thinking?  rolleyes
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2009, 08:19:50 AM »

So you're saying that small cut opportunities should be passed over just because they are small?

Passed over? No.  Pointless?  Absolutely.  Like asking the doctor to check a mole when you know you have a brain tumor the size of a grapefruit.  Like trying to avoid bankruptcy by buying the white rice instead of brown rice but keeping the $50,000 bentley.  Like treating the bees for varroa when you see one on the bees even though they are crashing from a rip roaring case of foulbrood.

Symbolic.  That is all this president is about.  Symbolic gardens. Symbolic donations to the humane society.  Symbolic "green" gestures.  Symbolic budget cost cutting.  But he ain't never DONE it himself.

This is a man that is all about talk. Talking the talk. 

But he can't walk the walk.  He's like an empty package.

Rick
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2009, 08:20:27 AM »

Mellow Mellow It's time for a group hug grin piano

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2009, 08:44:29 AM »

So you're saying that small cut opportunities should be passed over just because they are small?

Passed over? No.  Pointless?  Absolutely.  Like asking the doctor to check a mole when you know you have a brain tumor the size of a grapefruit.  Like trying to avoid bankruptcy by buying the white rice instead of brown rice but keeping the $50,000 bentley.  Like treating the bees for varroa when you see one on the bees even though they are crashing from a rip roaring case of foulbrood.

Symbolic.  That is all this president is about.  Symbolic gardens. Symbolic donations to the humane society.  Symbolic "green" gestures.  Symbolic budget cost cutting.  But he ain't never DONE it himself.

This is a man that is all about talk. Talking the talk. 

But he can't walk the walk.  He's like an empty package.

We'll see.  It's only been a hundred days... he's got almost 4 full years to act.  I'll give any newly elected president a chance up until the next election cycle. 
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2009, 09:38:40 AM »

I think there is a whole lot of opportunity to make cuts to the budget there without cutting into a single paycheck.

Yes there is and you gave the answer why it won't happen when you said;

So why did they replace it every year in an office in a po-dunk little town?  Because if they didn't, their budget would have been reduced by that amount,.....

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2009, 09:58:02 AM »

We'll see.  It's only been a hundred days... he's got almost 4 full years to act.  I'll give any newly elected president a chance up until the next election cycle. 

Yeah, thats what I'm afraid of too.  4 more years of people preaching to us about what we have to do and trying to force us to do:
pump our tires up to save gas
change to CFLs to save electricity (and burn down the house  rolleyes)
plant backyard gardens
adopt mutts from the pound
save the planet
don't eat meat
save money

when the very people preaching to us are:
spending borrowed money by the truckload
Jetsetting around the world
burning jet fuel by the 1000's of gallons
adopting $1000 perfect dogs
throwing huge expensive dinners

I'm still burned about the "Universal Service Fee" on my phone bill.  That was implemented by one phoney showing his true colors. <edit add>  And now he's pushing for a new tax that will cost us more under the guise of "cap and trade".

100 days or 1000 days, its all starting to sound like "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" (tinnititus)

cheer
I'd do a group hug thing, but with the swine flu thing going around...well, y'know....  grin

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »

assume you have a 50% inflation rate... get it now?

we don't have a 50% inflation rate (yet).  we have a government that wants to spend more.  this is a choice they have made.  instead of doing what has been proved to work, they have chosen to do what has been proved not to work.  why?
well, if you don't come up with an answer, i'll tell  you after i get back.

i have to go to town and spend some of my nasty wealth on appliances for the foreclosure we bought.  the one that we are going to make available to rent soon so that we can profit off the back of some poor person.  i think i  make a good slum lord!!!!!   evil

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
pdmattox
Queen Bee

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2009, 10:30:44 AM »

Riiighht... because all this fear mongering is REALLY about facts... LOOK OUT, THERE'S a BLACK MAN BEHIND YOU!  ROTFL!!!!   

Do not point out people by thier color. I think you need to cool off for a bit. Maybe take a day off and come back with a new attitude.

SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »

assume you have a 50% inflation rate... get it now?

we don't have a 50% inflation rate (yet).  we have a government that wants to spend more.  this is a choice they have made.  instead of doing what has been proved to work, they have chosen to do what has been proved not to work.  why?
well, if you don't come up with an answer, i'll tell  you after i get back.

Do you know what the current inflation rate is and how it relates to the budget with regard to buying power vs. last year's budget? 

i have to go to town and spend some of my nasty wealth on appliances for the foreclosure we bought.  the one that we are going to make available to rent soon so that we can profit off the back of some poor person.  i think i  make a good slum lord!!!!!   evil

Boy you're really trying hard, aren't you?  Maybe if you say I'm a liberal 20 more times it might come true.  OR, you might admit that you have no clue as to where I'm coming from.  I'll give you a hint though, ask yourself what Reagan would be saying if he were at my keyboard. 

I have to say, this board has some great groupthink going on here.  Anyone with a dissenting point of view has been intimidated out of expressing it here.  Between exclusion from the clique and the group dogpile your little gang has quite handily managed to silence the opposing viewpoints around here.  That doesn't make you right though, it just makes you a bully.  You'll find that I'm not so easily bullied though.  I'm sure the next thing you'll try is getting your gang to complain to the mods/admins until you at least think you can force me either out, or to at least keep my mouth shut while you preach your political dogma.  You have clearly spent many hours listening to and picking up on what Sean Hannity does.  But I am not the idiot and coward that Colmes was, and I'm not afraid to call you out for what you're doing either.  Since you seem to be the leader of this clique, here's a subscription to ITG quarterly for you:

Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2009, 02:47:29 PM »

I have to say, this board has some great groupthink going on here.  Anyone with a dissenting point of view has been intimidated out of expressing it here.  Between exclusion from the clique and the group dogpile your little gang has quite handily managed to silence the opposing viewpoints around here. 
[/quote]

That would be a shame if in fact it is true

Keith
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2009, 02:49:28 PM »

no one has treated you unkindly  here.  no one has even been rude.  we have engaged you in conversation even though many of us disagree with you.  i can not say that we have gotten the same respect from you.

there are probably just as  many on this board who agree with you.  i do not know why they choose not to engage.

i am leader of nothing.  i express my opinion and you are free to agree, disagree, or ignore.  if you find yourself in trouble on this board, it will be your own doing.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2009, 04:54:11 PM »

Cliques?  shocked

No cliques here. If you are including me in with some of these folks' "clique"... you is wrong man. Sometimes there are subjects where I am on the opposite side of the issue. Should have heard what they wished they could have called me on here when I was pointing out that dogs are just animals. I suddenly became a serial killer over night.   rolleyes

Just enjoy the debate. Keep it clean. Don't take it personal.

Jerry

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2009, 07:07:13 PM »

I don't think a dissenting view has been removed or edited here. You just happen to be among a large group who do not see things the way you do.
 But the best  way for anyone on either side to get the boot is to do a personal attack!!
 Agree to disagree here or don't participate in these conversations.Every one has the option to post their opinion as Kathy P said. no one has been forbidden to post their views.
 If you see someone has disappeared suddenly it is because of a post you may not have seen that escalated into personal attacks,or even attacked someone personally through PM exchanges,which are big no nos. Very few have ever been removed or had to be warned for that matter.
 Remember ,be kind,you can disagree but be nice about it.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2009, 10:08:31 PM »

Yeah, I agree with what the serial killer said above. banana devil

Rick
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next