Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 19, 2014, 11:33:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gratitude Campaign  (Read 1402 times)
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« on: April 24, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »

Have you ever seen one of our military walking past you and wanted to convey to them your thanks, but weren't sure how or it felt awkward?

Recently, a gentleman from Seattle created a gesture which could be used and has started a movement to get the word out.

Please everybody take just a moment to watch.... The Gratitude Campaign; ......and then forward it to your friends! THEN START USING THE SIGN.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfFYxSdKdo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSfFYxSdKdo</a>

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Big John
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »

Very good idea and video, glad you put it up.   cheer

"Semper Fi"
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 01:53:21 PM »

Love it, and thank you for posting it, Robo, it brought tears to my eyes.  I don't think I could say a thing to any of them (I get choked up seeing the guys in those new light colored cammo uniforms when they're home, out shopping, whatever - I'm thankful they made it but sad that they're going to go back), but I could definitely thank then that way

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 03:16:35 PM »

Robo, thanks for posting that. There is alot of military men in my family and my husband was in the marines and he always makes a point of striking up conversation with men and women in uniform.
He talks about where they are stationed, boot camp etc. and it really does mean so much to them to be thanked but also to talk about what they are doing.
The neighbor boys, brothers are in Iraq right now with the Marines and their parents are proud but worried sick as well, they can go a long time without hearing from them.
Another friend of my son's is a Navy Seal, went from working at the local hardware store to doing only God knows what and I am thankful for that.
One minute that boy was at my house eating dinner with us and a month or two later he is in a foreign country fighting a war.
Its important to let the families of servicemen know that we care.
They just like to hear that we keep them in our thoughts and prayers and how much we appreciate the sacrifices their son/daughter/spouse has made and we haven't forgotten about them.
If you see someone who has someone overseas fighting for our country just stop and ask them how they are doing.
All my son does is talk about joining the service when he graduates.
I am proud of all our young men and women volunteering to defend our country but it does scare the daylights out of me to think about my boy going to war.
My heart sinks to the pit of my stomach whenever he brings it up and I cannot imagine what these parents must go through with worry.
I think this is a great campaign and I hope it really takes off.
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 07:38:24 AM »

Thank's Robo I'll pass it on.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:04:18 AM by Irwin » Logged

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 07:51:04 AM »

Thank's Robo I'll pss it on.

I start using this sign about 8 mo. go

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »

it means a lot.  i was walking with my youngest in the airport one day and he was in uniform.  some guy cut clear across the place to shake his hand and thank him for his service.  i thought my son was going to cry.  to this day, he comments on that.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 11:47:25 PM »

it means a lot.  i was walking with my youngest in the airport one day and he was in uniform.  some guy cut clear across the place to shake his hand and thank him for his service.  i thought my son was going to cry.  to this day, he comments on that.

As one who was never thanked I try to thank those who serve.  I have a Son in Germany, 2 tours in Iraqiso far.  His phone calls are precious.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 01:35:26 AM »

Anyone who's ever walked a mile in their boots knows how much it means to them to know they have your support.  I say forget the gratitude sign however, and just go over and say thanks.  It really isn't that hard, and you'll frequently make new friends.
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 11:35:42 PM »

Speaking of gratitude by the way... my neighbor from across the way that I almost never talk to came over to thank me... but not for my prior service... for keeping bees. 
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 02:19:24 PM »

Robo good post I enjoyed it. I sometimes hate to wear my uniform. I have more people try to buy me stuff. I can't stand in a line with anything or else 9 times out of 10 the person in front of me will pay for it. If I eat in a restaurant most of the time when it comes time to pay my bill it has been taken care of. It is truly amazing some of the gestures people will do for the guys and girls in uniform. But again I hate for people to pay for my way so the whole time I end up trying to talk someone out of paying for me. In the end I relent because you can see in their eyes they truly want to do something for the service members.

Keith
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 02:30:53 PM »

keith, hate to date myself, but when i was in the military we were only allowed to travel in dress uniform. it was not a time when people were saying thanks for anything.  i was glad when they changed the rules and we were not allowed to travel in uniform.  it became dangerous with the hijackings and stuff.  it meant struggling into a set of dress blues in some head before reporting in, but that was ok.

after desert storm things changed.  it was like people were waiting for a chance to be proud of the military again.  they thanked us, paid for meals, etc.  even got upgraded to 1st class on occasion.  same thing happens now with my red cross adventures.

it is a bit embarrassing, but i came to the conclusion that it made people feel good to do these things, so i have learned to accept them with good grace.  if it is their way of saying thanks and it's a small thing, it's ok.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »

The people of the US have come a long way like you said it was not too long ago that if you traveled in uniform you got spit on and called a baby killer.
I would much rather argue with someone over paying a bill then being spit on. I rarely travel in uniform, that is one rule change they got right for sure, but when I do the respect and gratitude I receive is amazing

Keith
SgtMaj
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 02:41:41 PM »

If you're recieving a check for your service, then the people are already paying your way, so you might as well accept it when they want to give you a raise.
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 02:42:34 PM »

If you're recieving a check for your service, then the people are already paying your way, so you might as well accept it when they want to give you a raise.

LOL I guess that is one way to look at it grin

Keith
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next