Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 25, 2014, 10:25:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New member from Alabama mountain cove  (Read 1063 times)
wildwoodflowerfarm
New Bee

« on: April 22, 2009, 10:30:27 PM »

Hi ya'll,
My husband and I are restoring an old house and farm here in Northeast Alabama.  We are putting back native plants and attempting a period appropriate garden.  We have a black walnut tree in our farmyard that houses a colony of feral bees.  So I really need to know how to support these bees and keep them healthy and happy for pollinating my gardens.
fermentedhiker
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 10:37:42 PM »

Welcome.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams
1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 05:20:38 AM »

Hello and Welcome Wildwoodflowerfarm
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny   
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »

at first i thought it said Alabama mountain cave, and i thought "oh, my kind of folks!!".    grin

welcome to the site. 

if they bees are hanging out in the tree all the years, they probably don't need much from you.  if you want to keep some hives, put out a swarm trap.  chances are that hive in the tree throws swarms every year, and those would be great bees to keep.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Hethen57
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 07:14:45 PM »

Feral pets are the best kind...you just get to enjoy them without all of the responsibility.  On that note, I raise feral deer, pheasant, and quail in my yard and they require no effort at all... grin

-Mike
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 12:00:46 AM »

Wildwoodflowerfarm.  Welcome to our forum, I love that name, by the way.  This will be a place where you can lean on us for advice, that will come.  If you stick around it will also be a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, we love new members.  You are off onto a beautiful endeavour with this farm.  When you were telling of your restoring this farm, it conjured up some beautiful pictures in my mind's eye.  Stick around.  Have that wonderful and most awesome day, life and health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
lmehaffey
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »

Welcome from a fellow newbie and fellow Alabamian (there are several more on here, as well)! NE Alabama's a pretty place...we've been thinking about Jackson County ourselves....

Cindi

It is what it is.......except when it isn't.
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:08:23 AM »

Welcome. Hey if you need electrical advice - I'm your guy (22yr master) I know a restoration can get really pricey so if you're out to do stuff on your own, just pm me and I'll advise asap. (no charge, of course)

be happy and make others happy.
wildwoodflowerfarm
New Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 01:30:56 PM »

Thanks.
We are having a ball with this restoration and putting the farm back in service.  Truly miss my bee colony though.  Hope a new one settles in soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next