Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 18, 2014, 12:29:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Use a Division Board Feeder?  (Read 2224 times)
BeekeeperInKingGeorgeVA
New Bee

« on: April 19, 2009, 11:33:13 PM »

I have two hives, each consisting of three medium 8-frame hive bodies (plus top and inner covers, screened bottom board, etc.).  The guy who sold me my woodenware included one Mother Lode division board feeder with each hive.  As I await the arrival of my package bees, I wonder about the best way to use the feeders:

I guess the most straightforward approach would be to make up hives consisting of just a single hive body, and to remove one or two frames on the end, replacing them with the feeder.   But this means that instead of eight frames for my new bees, they will only have six or seven- at least until I am done feeding the syrup.

An alternative method comes to mind, and I'm wondering whether it has been done, and if so, if it is a good thing.  Make a hive containing two hive bodies, with the lower body containing eight frames; this is where the bees will be placed.  Cover that hive body with the inner cover, and then stack a second hive body on top.  In the second hive body, place the division board feeder (and maybe some wadded-up newspaper to reduce the amount of empty space in the second hive body).  Cover with the telescoping cover.  With this method, the bees would have access to all eight frames of foundation from the beginning.  On the other hand, the bees would have to climb up through the hole in the inner cover to the second story of their home in order to find the syrup.

Any thoughts?  Those of you who've used division board feeders with eight-frame equipment, what has your experience been?

Regards,

Tim
Bee-Bop
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:03:43 AM »

My first suggestion is to get your self to your local bee club , then too your local public library and borrow some bee keeping books. Your library has them, or can get them thru inter library loan.

a new package needs to be fed, fed,fed.

Use the feeder in the bottom box with 6-7 frames { I don't believe you said if
1 or 2 frame feeder } after about 5-6 days, put feeder into 2nd box with more frames, followed by 3 box and feeder.

Your going to need at least 3, 8 frame boxes for brood, then honey boxes above in time.

Crumpled up news paper In my opinion ain't so hot, I'd like to know who came up with that idea ?

Again I say, get local advise !!

Take every thing you read on the boards with a grain or two of salt !

Beekeeping is just a expensive Hobby

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:29:34 AM »

Why not just use your alternate method with an inverted jar feeder over the inner cover hole?  Easy access for the bees, no drowning, and easy monitoring/replacing.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/feeder-compare/

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 07:37:51 PM »

If you have bare foundation, a package will fit fine on six frames.  I put them in five frame nucs with foundationless or bare foundation all the time.  If you have drawn comb you'll need more room and probably should give them two boxes instead.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next