Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 01:54:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Look what I got for my pickup!!!!  (Read 685 times)
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« on: April 20, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »

Just wanted to show off my new project!  It's a 255ci Flathead Mercury.  I've been dreaming of getting one of these or a Flathead Ford 239 to put back into my 1952 Ford F1 Pickup for a long time and haven't had the $$$ to buy one.  I've always thought it would be really cool to put in a isky racing cam, a Offenhauser tri-carb intake, and those sweet Edelbrock finned aluminum heads!  There's something really cool about a tricked out flathead.
Well my wife woke me up to get ready for work the other afternoon and told me she knew a secret but wouldn't tell what it was.  Later, right before work my dad called and said he needed help moving something in the shop.  I walked over to his house and he said it was in the back of his pickup.  Looked back there and saw the flathead Merc!!!  He and my grandfather were at a hotrod swapmeet earlier that day and saw this engine and bought it for me!!!  I couldn't believe it!  I felt like a little kid again at christmas!  Totally unexpected!  My dad is awesome!!!!
The guy he bought it from said it was running when he pulled it from the 1950 merc it was in.  It's been in dry storage and has no rust.  The guy shot a coat of paint on it just to help preserve it.  I plan on tearing it completely down and doing a full rebuild.
Attached it a pic of the engine and one of my 52 Fords (I have two.  This one is on a 4x4 chassis which I will not be using.  I'm restoring the 2wd which is stripped to the frame right now).

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:01:03 PM »

Way to Go! I can just imagine the kid at Christmas excitement. It must have been fun for your wife to be in on the secret too!!
Sean Kelly
Field Bee

I Pick; Therefore I Grin

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:06:21 PM »

Yeah, it was really cool!

Just came in from taking the intake manifold off.  Was greasy inside, but everything looked good.  Tried to take off one of the heads but my left hand is still recovering from my recent surgery, so I couldn't get a good pull on the wrench.  Got about 18 of the 26 bolts out on one side.  Might need to break out the air tools or a piece of pipe.  Took a bunch of pics of the numbers on the block, intake, and heads.

Sean Kelly

"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 10:20:49 PM »

Great find and love the truck!

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
dpence
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 11:32:44 PM »

Cool project. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next