Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 05:02:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About those Pirates  (Read 1339 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: April 13, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »

I have been wondering.....

Just how does a few men in a life boat board a big ship out in the open water? How does one scale the metal side of the ship. OR if the crew lowered a ladder for them, in waters where it is known to have pirates, why wouldn't the crew have the drop on the pirates?

But now it seems the pirates are POed because some of their people have been killed and they threaten retaliation.

Put a big gun on your ship and blow anything that comes within range out of the water.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:31:57 AM »

Jerry,

My guess is they approach the boat in the dead of night and aren't spotted.   They probably board the boat via a rope with a grappling hook.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:34:39 AM »

Great minds think alike............... been wondering the same thing. 10-4 on the gun!

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:40:01 AM »

The news anchor said "they only pirate in the off season from their regular fishing jobs!"  lau

"Say, what do you do for a living?"

"I'm a part time fisherman."

"Cool, what's your other line of work?"

"Oh, I'm a pirate in the off season."

Bahahahahahahaahahahah! lau lau lau

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:12:28 AM »

Jerry,

My guess is they approach the boat in the dead of night and aren't spotted.   They probably board the boat via a rope with a grappling hook.

OK. But you're in dangerous waters, keeping a lookout would be advisable.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:39:40 AM »

Jerry,

OK. But you're in dangerous waters, keeping a lookout would be advisable.

From what I understand they use speed boats to run along side then grappels to gain entry. Most carry RPG's they can be pretty convincing. Plus I believe it is against some rule to have armed crew members.

Keith

Keith
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »

there are insurance issues and port of call issues.  most companies have also figured that having insurance and company pay the occasional ransom is safer than getting into a shooting  match with these guys.

this is a perfect example of why history is so important.  there is nothing new....we  make the same old mistakes because we seem to think we have evolved. human nature remains the same. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 12:05:50 PM »

The first time you punch the bully who's been stealing your lunch money, he's gonna be mad.

After the second or third time you lay him out flat, he's probably not going to be too quick to try for free lunch money.

Rick
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 01:10:47 PM »

3 sharp shooters, 3 shots fired simultaneously all hitting just above the eyebrows of 3 targets.  This is the kinda thing I like to see on the news.
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 01:51:54 PM »

3 sharp shooters, 3 shots fired simultaneously all hitting just above the eyebrows of 3 targets.  This is the kinda thing I like to see on the news.

Yes, and both the targets and the sharp shooters were bobbling in the ocean!

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 01:56:56 PM »

[[/quote]

Yes, and both the targets and the sharp shooters were bobbling in the ocean!

Steve
[/quote]
I lived on Kodiak Island through the 80's and can tell you from experience,  shooting from a boat  is alot harder than most people seem to think.  They make it seem so easy in the movies
Greg Peck
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 08:01:19 PM »

It is hard enough getting 3 targets in the open at the same time. Normally you take what you can and let CQB or SWAT take out the rest, not an option in this case. Add moving targets and shooting from a moving vessel. That was some exceptional marksmanship. One shot one kill. That is how it is supposed to be. Not the normal new story of "100 rounds fired none on target"

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 08:06:05 PM »

not to mention that they came in with a HALO jump and swim to the ship according to reports.  i used to watch those guys train at Coronado.  they are a special breed.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Keith13
Super Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »

FYI came to me in an email

Inside the Shot Heard 'Round the World

We've got some details trickling in about the specifics of the SEAL sniper shots on the pirates holding the Maersk-Alabama's captain, Richard Phillips.
The Combat Operator's Jake Allen -- not a former SEAL, but a Marine infantry officer and private military contractor and security consultant with sourcing in the Teams -- had no detailed information on the actual shot, but described the overall techniques used by the SEAL team.
First of all, multiple sources indicate this was conducted by SEAL Team VI, aka Naval Special Warfare Development Group, aka "DevGru." This is the naval equivalent of Delta Force.Allen says the team likely were on the intel of the incident very soon after news hit the wires about the capture and were already well in advance of developing a plan to rescue Phillips before they deployed to the USS Bainbridge.
It's unclear why the team decided to parachute onto the scene under cover of darkness from a C-17 with rafts. One possibility is that this was a far more covert entry than simply landing on the destroyer via helicopter, or Allen says it could have been due to range restrictions...did the DevGru guys travel straight from Little Creek, Va.? Probably.
There was no rest and relaxation or getting rid of the jetlag for the team, Allen estimates, they were planning and rehersing shortly after arriving aboard the Bainbridge. Delay is, however, in their favor, Allen said, since food was running out, sleep was short and the weather was worsening for the ill-trained pirates who probably were beginning to realize they bit off more than they could chew.
Whether it was luck or planning, clearly the idea to tow the life boat behind the Bainbridge and reel it into closer range made a sniper takedown much more of a reasonable possibility than any other tactic, sources say. A shot of 80-90 feet -- even at night and in rolling seas -- is a cakewalk for DevGru SEALs.
"These guys can put three rounds onto the head of a quarter at that range," Allen told me.
And let's not get carried away with the sea state, says DT contributor Joe Buff. A multi-thousand ton destroyer is a pretty stable platform in any but the most tumultuous sea states and makes dialing in a shot on an admittedly tossing life raft more doable -- a smart platform for the Team to operate from.
We also have some information -- unconfirmed, though we're working on it -- about how the shots were taken and what was used. Our firearms expert Eric Poole who writes for Tactical-Life posits that the snipers were using the MK-11 .308 sniper system manufactured by Knights Armament Co. This weapons is awesome, by the way (I've shot it a few times myself) and, if this is indeed what the shooters used, would mark a major, high-profile departure from legacy thinking about sniping which holds bolt-action rifles as the Gold Standard or marksmanship.
Poole figures the DevGru frogmen removed the "overpowered" standard-issue Leupold scopes and opted for the Aimpoint CCO augmented by the PVS-14 night vision monocular. Though the SEAL version of the MK-11 Mod 0 is issued with supressors, it's unclear whether the operators used them, but I'd bet a million bucks they did.
One other question (among many) remains open...were there three shots or four? Poole reasons, and Allen and I agree, that someone had to shoot through the lifeboat window first, then fire the kill shots. My limited knowledge of ballistics leads me to believe the snipers could not rely on the effectiveness of the one window shot to actually strike the target where it was aimed based in the potential deflection of hitting that probably plastic (glass) window.
Poole, Allen and Buff agree that this operation was meticulously planned and flawlessly executed. The DevGru SEALs developed the situation (with their interagency partners in the FBI and other OGAs), planned an attack and executed when the opportunity presented itself (and I don't buy this "the captain was in danger" line the Pentagon and White House is trying to sell here...you mean to tell me Phillips hadn't had a gun pointed at his back anytime before this?)...It was a kick butt operation carried out by one of the best counterterrorist units in the world and they deserve a huge HooYah from all of us...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next