Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 29, 2014, 12:59:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: robbing  (Read 496 times)
artsie26
New Bee

« on: April 17, 2009, 04:22:49 PM »

my bees didn't make the winter Sad.  So I'm getting my pkg. bees in 1 week from today. I cleaned out the giant pile of dead bees....and still have honey and stuff on  the frames. I noticed today there were alot of bees coming and going from the hive, so I'm guessing they're trying to take any food they can. I covered up the entrances with duct tape ( gotta love duct tape), and I'm hoping they will go away and forget about my hive.  It's been about an hour since my seal up, and there are a "bunch" of bees flying around the hive. Is there anything different I should have done? Do you think my new bees will have to fight these bad guys off?    Thanks!!
     artsie
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 07:12:54 PM »

Remove the duct tape and check and make sure you don't have a laying queen and a few workers
left.
What I thought was my second lost hive was discovered today. I had noticed a few days ago the traffic from this colony was very slow. found a lot of dead bees on the ground in front and on the landing board. Tore it apart and found some eggs and some young brood. But not the queen.
Put another bottom board on, trimmed it to one box and added my frame feeder with 1to1 sugar syrup. Although it is a very small cluster, Thought I'd give them a chance to come back.
My fault for not checking this colony closer. they starved.

Some time in the spring you will have a large die off. But not all the bees will die. There is a normal die off in the spring, from the older bees that overwintered.
If you still had honey left maybe they didn't starve.
If they starve  you should find large #'s of bees dead in the cells, head first, scattered through out the frames. The piles of bees come from the bees cleaning house.
Hope this helps. doak
artsie26
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »

Hi doak,
            I thought the same thing you said a couple weeks ago....I was hoping they were my bees and not robbers....but when I went and looked again there were no bees alive at all...not even the robbers were around. there were bees with there heads in the cells like you said, but on the floor of the hive there was a big pile and I had to take off the enterance reducer to sweep them out.
           The weather is just starting to get nice now ( it's been very rainy ) so I think thats why the bees are checking out the hive.
         artsie
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next