Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 21, 2014, 08:15:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: another book rec  (Read 781 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: April 22, 2009, 10:12:54 AM »

this is an old one.  i read it probably 1st in high school, then again when i was older.  i just picked it up for a 3rd time and am about 1/2 way through it.  the book is in the same class as 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, etc.

if you are into good fiction and want to see how to create a dystopian society, read these books and include this last. as it turns out, these works of fiction were prophetic.  this one is Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.  read it or read it again.  it's worth it.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 11:22:11 AM »

I absolutely need to read this book, and I think I've got it upstairs somewhere, I'll have to go looking for it.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
tshnc01
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:41:44 AM »

Here is a link to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal about "Atlas Shrugged".  It is called "Atlas Shrugged:  From Fiction to Fact in 52 Years".  http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123146363567166677.html

...Tim

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 11:52:01 AM »

yup.  i may need anothr t-shirt.

http://shop.cafepress.com/ayn-rand

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:24:44 PM »

tshnc01, great Wall Street article.

There's a money guy on the radio around here (Brinker is his name, I think).  I always weigh the politics I'm hearing with the thoughts of money experts, it gives you a really good view of what's really going on. 

I've definitely got to read that book, my jaw is still on the floor with what I read in that article.  Heinlein is another prescient author.  Isn't it amazing that those fools in Washington are so predictable?

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
tshnc01
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 02:36:05 PM »

Reinbeau,

Yes, amazing and yet so disappointing. 

In case you do end up reading the book, be warned...The copy that I bought last fall was over 1000 pages of a tiny, tiny font....Definitely not a book you get through in a couple of days.

...Tim

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 03:20:01 PM »

you can do it on CD, or download it if your library offers that.  it is a long book!

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next