Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New hive from last week  (Read 491 times)

Offline WLF1961

• New Bee
New hive from last week
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »
Need some info please. I did a cutout last Tuesday and almost certain I did not get the queen. So today I went to look at the hive and could not find her and didn't see any new laying and did not see any queen cells. Saw some larvae but don't remember seeing it before. Will they uncap brood or did I just miss seeing the larvae before. Anyways, found some new laying from another hive and took one frame and put it in the new hive to see if they would start raising a queen. Does this sound like the right thing to do or am I rushing things or not doing the right thing at all. Thanks for any advice.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: New hive from last week
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:52:29 PM »
Giving them eggs and young brood is good insurance in case they are queenless.  If you didn't get the queen in the cutout and if they are raising a new one, it will be four weeks before I would expect a laying queen.  But if the colony swarmed just before you did the cutout, they would have a virgin queen and she won't be laying for another two weeks, probably.
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen