Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 17, 2014, 08:48:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: feeding honey from cutouts to hived bees.  (Read 576 times)
bailey
Field Bee

« on: April 09, 2009, 10:39:06 PM »

i need the experienced folks to chime in on this one. Brian, Michael, i would value your opinions on this.

what problems could occur if honey from cutouts were fed back to my bees?
i am aware of the dangers of fermented honey, and of hives that have been sprayed, and of hives that appear to have disease.

my question assumes that these types of honey would be excluded from feeding to my bees.
i also would only do this a good distance from my hives to prevent robbing.

i have been doing this for a while but want to get opinions on the possible dangers if any.

thanks.

bailey

most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 12:51:11 AM »

i need the experienced folks to chime in on this one. Brian, Michael, i would value your opinions on this.

what problems could occur if honey from cutouts were fed back to my bees?
i am aware of the dangers of fermented honey, and of hives that have been sprayed, and of hives that appear to have disease.

There is always a danger when feeding honey back to the bees.  Feeding it back to the same bees that produced it shouldn't be a big problem unless there were disease issues noted during the cutout.  Feeding it to other hives in the bee yard can be more problematic.  I would personally avoid it if at all possible, but if you have nothing else to feed, what choice do you have. 

my question assumes that these types of honey would be excluded from feeding to my bees.
i also would only do this a good distance from my hives to prevent robbing.

i have been doing this for a while but want to get opinions on the possible dangers if any.

thanks.

bailey

Honey will set off a feeding frenzy, robbing issue much more readily than feeding syrup, was you are probably already aware.  If you have a bee yard made up of all feral swarms or cutouts, it is probably a good cost effective means of getting them up and running again.  When feeding honey, due to the ultra-high robbing probability, I would do it only with community feeders some distance from the bee yard, say at least 200 feet.  The community feeders will draw the bees from all the hives and they are therefore less likely to raid each other.  But one of the keys to community feeding is to make sure the bees have to fly past as few other hives as possible in the process.  Place them in a row and think of the row as the base of a triangle.  Place the feeder so that it is the apex of the triangle.  If you arrange the hives in a circle around the feeder, once the feeder runs out the bees will fly past it looking for new forage, encounter other hives and the robbing occurs anyway.

BTW, thanks for the compliment.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 07:03:22 AM »

Although I'm not Brian or Michael, I'll give you my opinion anyway. huh

I do many cut-outs every year,  and I have never come across a feral hive that was diseased.  I guess there is some truth to "survival of the fittest" as ferals always seem to be strong.  You definitely get a feel for the health of the colony during the cut-out,  and when and if I ever come across a questionable colony, I would not only worry about the honey, but also my tools and equipment becoming contaminated. Until then, I have no problem feeding honey from ferals to my colonies as long as you take the same precautions to prevent robbing as you do with any other type of feed.

rob....

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

jdpro5010
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 11:01:46 AM »

I would agree with Robo also.  As long as I inspected the hive and did not see any evidence of disease or poisoning I too would feed it back to the bees.  The only thing I would not do is feed it to them or any others that may have access to it if there are any honey supers on the hives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next