Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 31, 2014, 08:58:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pics of making foundationless frames?  (Read 3078 times)
lotsobees
House Bee

« on: April 15, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »

Howdy friends,

Wondering if anyone out there skilled with making your own foundationless frames from scratch could post pics of the frames and your overall construction process?

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »

come over and i'll walk you through making a few dozen   evil

it's really easy.  i just take out the wedge piece, then put my strip on and staple the wedge back in tight.   by the time i have all my strips on, my wax is melted.  i use a glass syringe that i got from ebay, but there is a tool made for this also.  i  glue the strips in with melted wax and i'm done.

you can cut the strips with a pizza cutter if the foundation in a warm room.  if you don't have any foundation, you can just run a wax bead down the frame.  when i do this, i don't even pull the wedge out.  just run the wax. 

i think it's MB that uses Popsicle stick as a guide or turns the wedge sideways.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:46:37 PM »

Thx, Kathy Smiley I'm meaning completely from scratch (rollin yer own). Like this maybe: http://www.beebehavior.com/foundationless_frames.php

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:32:33 PM »

I've made some, but they were much more complicated than that link you posted. 

The ones I made were from the beesource plans for full frames.  I wouldn't bother with them again and turned out rather ugly.

The link frames look fairly straight forward and simple.  I can't beat that!!

Rick
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:56:31 PM »

Thanks for that info, Rick. Smiley

--John Schwartz
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 05:02:31 PM »

foiled again.  i was hoping for some free labor...   grin

frames are pretty cheap.  considering the time, etc. to build from scratch....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 09:22:48 AM »

foiled again.  i was hoping for some free labor...   grin

frames are pretty cheap.  considering the time, etc. to build from scratch....

Now I see that " Little bad Girl " in You  grin
Apis_M_Rescue
House Bee

Pollinating So Cal

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 02:51:41 AM »

Wouldn't the paint stirrer/popsicle/tongue depressor sticks covered w/ wax be more durable than card board milk cartons? Yes frames bought in 100 per box unassembled run less than dollar per frame. Like the simple design of the frames on the link, but how durable/ long do they last?

Tried BeeSource's frames but need a wood shop to expidite those many cuts. Seen this cool series on YouTube of Colombian Lang frame/ hive wooden ware shop:

YouTube & search for APICOLA INDUSTRIAL 1 & check out the  2 - 4 series ( can't post link yet as need more posts )

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

Proverbs 16:24

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24
hilreal
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 10:13:46 PM »

Look at the new ones Kelly's has for sale.  Pretty cool idea and really not that expensive.  I ordered 20 to try this spring.

Glenn
Apis_M_Rescue
House Bee

Pollinating So Cal

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »

Hi Glenn, Whats the full catalog name of Kelly's & proper description of frame so I can investigate? In link limbo here as newbee as well. Thanks for tip.

Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24
pondman
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 08:11:11 PM »

Here is a link to kelly's, I hope this was ok to paste here. If not please forgive me as I was tring to help out with this an make it easy for this person.
Kelleybees.com
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 10:18:04 PM »

I never realized you could by frames with a comb guide. I've been pretty fortunate just throwing a bare frame between two drawn ones. I'm sure in time I will get taught a lesson about this way. Smiley
Apis_M_Rescue
House Bee

Pollinating So Cal

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 01:28:15 AM »

Thanks Pondman for link. Those would be a great time saver as no paint stirrer sticks cut & glue on.

manfre
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 04:15:12 PM »

I've had really good luck with just rotating the wedge and using that as the guide for the bees. As far as making frames from scratch, it's too labor intensive to be cost effective, unless you're doing this for the experience of it.

Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next