Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 12:46:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a mentor  (Read 823 times)
dgc1961
House Bee

« on: April 09, 2009, 01:00:06 PM »

I started my hive spring of last year.  And I am still trying to learn about beekeeping.

I live in Trinity, NC. not too far from Thomasville.  I am looking for a mentor to help me learn about bee keeping.  I don't have time to go to club meetings.  I would like to find somebody that lives in northern Randolph County or Davidson County. 

I would like to be able to go over to somebody's and watch them inspect there hive and see the proper way to do this.  And also somebody who wouldn't mind if I called once in a while to as questions.

If anybody is interested please let me know.  I would be more than happy to come over and help them with what every they need done with the hives.

David C.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 01:29:26 PM »

I live just down the street in Randleman. I'll PM you my phone number. You are welcome to come down anytime.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
tlynn
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:51:42 PM »

This forum is a great "mentor."  You have hundreds and maybe thousands of combined years of experience right here.  People who are highly knowledgeable and very generous with their time.  Second you should make time to go to your local meetings.  It's probably only once a month or so, no?  They are another wealth of information, local information.  They certainly will have workshops, workdays at the association yard, if applicable.
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 06:43:45 AM »

1) Take Iddee up on his offer.

2) I agree with Tlynn: make time to go to club meetings. The "local information" is well worth the time (plus, it's great fun to hang out with bee buddies!).
http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/chapters.htm
dgc1961
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:07:46 AM »

I am taking Iddee up on his offer.  I read this forum everyday and sometimes post questions.  But I want to "see" how somebody inspects there hive.  The procedure that they go through.

David C.
whiteflyer
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 01:22:39 PM »

David, I agree with you. Seeing and being able to ask ? on the spot bets all the reading in the world. My beekeeping improve greatly with a mentor. met iddee last year. Very heipful guy. Of course reading the forum is a close second to hands on.
eri
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 04:43:19 PM »

After a year of reading, going to meetings and demonstrations and field days, and 1 hive, I finally had a chance to spend a few hours one-on-one with a more experienced beekeeper at her bee yard with 10 hives. It upped my confidence level dramatically.

On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 12:04:10 AM »

I had a young man from my church drop by today.  He wanted to know if I'd be willing to teach him beekeeping.  I laughed and told him I never pass up an opportunity to teach someone beekeeping.  So, as of this Spring I now have 3 students: My Oldest daughter, my oldest Graddaughter, and the young man from church.  They don't even need bees because we're using mine.

The least I can do is pass on all the information my mentor taught me to a new generation or 2.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next