Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting Set Up for package arrival  (Read 833 times)

Offline sparks

• New Bee
Getting Set Up for package arrival
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »
Hello all,

I am so green at this it is unbelievable.  I am setting up two hives and the bees will be here in a couple of weeks.  I am going to us all medium 8 frame hive boxes, and have some questions to ask.

1.  Can I set these up about 100 feet from my back door and not worry about bees following me into the house after working the hives?

2. Will a 3 pound package fit into 1 medium 8 frame box or should I stack a second box at the time of hiveing?

3.  Will I always be wondering what to do?  :-\

This will get things started but I will return. :-D  I hope that I don't take up too much bandwith with stupid questions.

Regards,

Chuck

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: Getting Set Up for package arrival
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 03:54:24 PM »
1.  Can I set these up about 100 feet from my back door and not worry about bees following me into the house after working the hives?

Shouldn't be a problem.  Mine are about 40 feet from my back door.

2. Will a 3 pound package fit into 1 medium 8 frame box or should I stack a second box at the time of hiveing?

They will be fine.

3.  Will I always be wondering what to do?  Undecided

It will come.  Just keep reading... :-D

This will get things started but I will return. grin  I hope that I don't take up too much bandwith with stupid questions.

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked...
Good luck with your packages.

David

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 06:54:28 PM »
>1.  Can I set these up about 100 feet from my back door and not worry about bees following me into the house after working the hives?

Yes.  Unless you get some AHB they will not follow 100 feet.  If they do, circle around the house a couple of times...

>2. Will a 3 pound package fit into 1 medium 8 frame box or should I stack a second box at the time of hiveing?

A 3 pound package with bare foundation will fit in a five frame medium nuc.  Barely.  It fits perfectly in an 8 frame medium box full of drawn comb.  Do NOT stack a second box on.

>3.  Will I always be wondering what to do?

Yes.  But it will be new questions.
Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:49:39 PM »
Mix your 1:1 feeding syrup a day or so before your packages arrive!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:26:20 PM »
If they do, circle around the house a couple of times...

and make sure someone is there with a video camera   :evil:
.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 01:01:41 AM »
If they do, circle around the house a couple of times...

and make sure someone is there with a video camera   :evil:

Then send it into America's Funniest Home Videos so we can all have a laugh.   Me bad.... :lau:
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!