Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 31, 2014, 04:49:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, That Was An Interesting Experience!  (Read 479 times)
Two Bees
Field Bee

« on: April 07, 2009, 08:20:54 AM »

After inspecting my two overwintered hives a couple of weeks ago, I decided to do a "simulated swarm split" of my strongest hive that consisted of 2 deeps and one medium box and was packed with bees.  I placed 4-5 frames of brood, honey, pollen, and nurse bees along with the old queen in a new box to create a new hive.  The second hive looked good upon inspection but I didn't think it was ready to split Unfortunately, I did not go through all of the frames.  The simulated swarm split worked and both hives are buzzing along (no pun)!

Yesterday afternoon, I was sitting on my deck and I noticed a bunch of something in a cedar tree about 10 feet from my now, three hives but I couldn't make out what it was.  When I approached my hives, I noticed a bunch of bees (25-30) on the front board of the second overwintered hive looking bewildered! I quickly figured out that this second hive had swarmed and they were looking for somewhere to go.  At least, I hope it was this second hive!

Luckily, I had just put together another deep and 10 frames over the weekend.  So, I quickly set up this new "swarm hive", cut the limb that the swarm was on, and shook them into the new, fourth hive! Buttoned everything up, put a glass gallon jar of 1:1 syrup on top, and walked away feeling that (1) I just had my first swarm and (2) that I just caught my first swarm!

Never a dull moment!

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »

Two Bees, well, well, certainly an interesting experience....aren't ya glad that you were sitting there and noticed the swarm.  Good for you.  By the way, I like your sign-off, I loved the Beverly Hillbillies as a child.  Have that wonderful day in this life we love, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next