The temp dropped again yesterday and last night we were getting snow flurries, the bees were clustered pretty tight and not trying to get to the tray I put in.
After thinking about it some more I am wondering if the original feeder was a problem because ir was a bright metal tin lid and maybe the bees could not hang from it to feed, so I modified the original feeder to sit flush in the panel with #8 screen across the bottom, I also changed to a glass jar so that I can see how much is left.
Now to some slightly embarrassing rookie mistakes.
1. dont put the pollen patty right below the feeder (even if it is convinient) the feeder dripped turning the patty to mush which the bees got stuck in.
2. If you do #1, dont move bars until you remove the patty, the bees fall off and get stuck in it making a real mess, lucky for me the queen was not one of them.