Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 30, 2014, 08:31:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New guy, with some newbie questions  (Read 868 times)
wunderdawg
New Bee

« on: April 05, 2009, 11:52:31 AM »

Ok..........As promised, I have newbie questions.  After checking a few suppliers, I noticed that some have already sold out of 2009 package bees.  Am I starting too late in the season?  I live in north Texas, about 60 miles north of Dallas.  I think we may have one more freeze left, and I was waiting for the weather to settle, but now I am wondering if I have waited too late.  Does anybody know of any local suppliers in this area?  

If at first you don't succeed, Skydiving may not be for you.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »

packages need to be ordered early. we order through our beekeeping supply store in February.  that said, you  may still be able to get one or two if there is a local place.  very often, the store in my area will have extra packages.
you should be able to find nucs.  they are a little more expensive, but they are a great way to start. 

try superpages.com and start calling beekeeping supply places in your area.  they should be able to point you in the right direction.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 01:18:39 PM »

http://www.rweaver.com/

A friend and mentor has been buying from them for many years. He depends on their bees for his beekeeping operation.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »

You pretty much have to have your packages ordered by January around here.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
IABeeMan
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 05:43:14 PM »

Don't forget about your local beekeeping clubs. I know there are some extremely strong beekeeping groups in Texas. In our technology dependant world now days people seem to forget or choose not to interact in person.
 Look up your local group. Suppliers often order extra packages to fill an order or a Beekeeper might order extra packages because he has a borderline hive. Either way both will have extra packages if your lucky. If not its a good way to find someone with nucs for sale.

indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 05:54:01 PM »

Don't forget about your local beekeeping clubs. I know there are some extremely strong beekeeping groups in Texas. In our technology dependant world now days people seem to forget or choose not to interact in person.
 Look up your local group. Suppliers often order extra packages to fill an order or a Beekeeper might order extra packages because he has a borderline hive. Either way both will have extra packages if your lucky. If not its a good way to find someone with nucs for sale.
Most beekeeping clubs have programs and/or beekeepers focused on helping new beekeepers. As IABeeMan said, many times members place orders "just in case" and have extra. Other times, a member may be willing to make a split just to help a newbee. The Internet is a great source of beekeeping info, but nothing beats having a couple local mentors.
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:46:22 PM »

Hey wonderdawg!
 PM me!..Im in Wichita Falls, about 140 miles or so north of Dallas, right on the red river almost!
I know a guy who I talked to last week who has some nucs for 50 dollars. I can give you his Phone number if you like!

your friend,
john

Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 10:29:47 PM »

I make it a habit of ordering my packages right after Christmas, saves a lot of hassle and Christmas is a good reminder.  Kind of like changing the batteries in the smoke alarms when you switch from Standard time to Daylight Savings time.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next