Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 27, 2014, 01:00:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a little help  (Read 813 times)
rdrcl
New Bee

« on: April 03, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »

Good afternoon I have been asked to speak to a group of 4th graders about honey bees and was wondering if anyone had any training materials that they used for this kind of thing. I will be using a laptop and powerpoint. Thanks for any assistance.

Thanks
Ray
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:15:59 PM »

Talked to 4th graders today-- four classes of them. You may bore them with too much power point!!! Believe me they will take over the whole program if you let them. Each session I had today was 45 minutes.

They bored after a short while with the talking then I popped the covers on the observation hive. Of course their eyes lit up. After that it was wide open grin! If you pop it too early-- you lose total control shocked!

I started with a couple of questions like: What is the first thing you think of when you think of bees? Of course the answers most given are honey and stings. Of course that is what you want and you can go from there:

How bees usually only sting to defend home.
Bees mixed up with wasp.
Most important thing from bees pollination.
Where bees came from in North America
Queens, Drones and workers
And they have study the basics and love the questions like larvae, pupae, adults --- six legs, three body parts etc.
and on and on-- your problem will be having enough time.

A big question was what does a hive look like and how do you get the honey out.

Power point of different bees,. extractor etc would be great.

They loved the questions they could answer. Make it as interactive as possible and it's a great time to be had. Be prepared for the sex question. I did get it from one class grin! I like to tell how lazy the guys are and how the women do all the work. The guys hoot and holler then I drop the bomb! I then tell how the women kick him out. The teachers just grin. and the girls giggle Wink.

Hope this helps----Have a great time!!!

John 3:16
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 12:35:32 AM »

I take a 5 frame medium nuc with fames of foundationless with guide, foundationless with wax strip guide, wired frame, frame with foundation and a frame of drawn comb.  Makes great show and tell and generates a lot of questions.  Go to the Bee Culture Magazine site and download the free handout on the difference between bees and wasps, hornets, etc, for something to take home.  I also take my smoker, veil, and hive tool, and wear my bee outfit while conducting the class.  Explain the different ways of separating honey from it comb (extractor, crush & strain) and the advantages of both methods.
A good question to ask them is, "How many products in your house has honey or wax in them?'  With older kids this can last for 45 minutes all by itself.
I have a miniture skep I made myself to show the "old way" of doing things.  I posted directions for making it in the Crafting Forum.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:20:28 PM »

I carried a Nuc with a frame of foundation and a frame of drawn comb. I also had helmet, veil, gloves, Smoker and hive tool. I carried a jar of honey but none to taste (didn't want to risk someone say they had food allergies etc.) Probably would not have happened though.

I carried the Bee Culture calender it came in real handy. Pictures of queens, swarm, and various equipment in the ads.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:45:13 AM by sc-bee » Logged

John 3:16
rdrcl
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 08:31:20 AM »

Great advice thanks all for all the good ideas. Smiley
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »

It may be fun to bring some drones along. At the end of the presentation to demonstrate they have no stingers you could put one in your mouth. They would never forget that as long as they live!

If you have a wad of bee's wax they could touch and handle this would be fun for them as well.

Keep them busy, attention spans are very limited at their age.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next