Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 11:05:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Treated hive covers ok?  (Read 1211 times)
lotsobees
House Bee

« on: April 02, 2009, 07:21:22 PM »

Hi all -- I purchased some treated migratory covers and discovered they're treated with that "green stuff" that stinks pretty bad. Any concerns/opinions about using these?

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:11:01 PM »

what "green stuff"?  smiley and where did you get them?

got your bees ordered?  when do they come it?  i want to avoid ruhl bee supply on that day!!!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:14:28 PM »

It's some kind of wood preservative... got 'em from Mann Lake.

Sure do -- got 3 Nucs on order!

what "green stuff"?  smiley and where did you get them?

got your bees ordered?  when do they come it?  i want to avoid ruhl bee supply on that day!!!!

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:16:14 PM »

their nuc prices were pretty good!  what were they treated for?

mann lake is pretty good.  i don't think i'd be to concerned.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:24:18 PM »

They are migratory hives (not telescoping)... I figured "treated" was better than "untreated" but wish I'da just ordered plain. Bummer.

--John Schwartz
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 09:24:55 PM »

how many hives are you running now? Smiley

--John Schwartz
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »

I contacted Mann Lake about this last year.  It's a food grade wood preservative that they use.  It's fine to use.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 01:31:37 PM »

I contacted Mann Lake about this last year.  It's a food grade wood preservative that they use.  It's fine to use.

Thanks BassMann Smiley  I also found you could paint over the preservative which I've done with no probs.

--John Schwartz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next