Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 02, 2014, 07:03:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaks blew out  (Read 2028 times)
Greg Peck
House Bee

« on: April 01, 2009, 11:17:28 PM »

I took my kids to daycare today in my old pickup truck. After dropping them off I got back into the truck put my foot on the break and it went to the floor. I got out and found break fluid running onto the ground. The break line had rusting through and blown out. Kind of close. I had just had the kids in the truck driving on the highway and through busy intersections in heavy morning traffic. One pump of the breaks after they got out of the truck the breaks blow out. I fixed the break line but I think it is time for a new truck.

"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:10:39 AM »

God was looking after you and your kids! Glad you all are safe.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:51:05 AM »

Greg, you are very fortunate. It could have gone a different way. Perhaps it is time for a new truck, or at leat new brake lines.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:00:28 AM »

That is close.  I had a similar incident where I had stopped at a convenience store.  When I got back in the car and started backing up, the left front wheel wouldn't move and was dragging when I was backing out.  The tie rod broke.  I had my younger cousin with me.  That could have been bad.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:47:33 AM »

Ok, since we're swapping stories. Yrs ago, I had some kind of work done on my car that required the young mechanic to remove the steering column.

I picked the car up and that afternoon drove back to the college campus with my sis. The drive was 70 miles.

Dropped my sis off at her dorm, got in the car and the steering wheel just spun around and around.

That, could have been really bad.

...JP

and

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:50:49 PM »

Ok, mine was coming out of Death Valley in 2001 while towing a 30ft RV.  Heading west on 190 toward Lone Pine came to the crest of the pass and stopped for quick picture or two.  Got back in and started down that very steep, long, and winding stretch.  Just let her coast down mostly using the engine as a brake.  First time I hit the brakes everything was fine.  Second time they went to the floor.  @#$%^&* My heart just about stopped.  Flipped the trailer brakes on as far as they would go with out locking up.  Put the entire right side of the rig in the sand to get as much drag as possible.  And finally, after about a mile of that had a slight rise and got her stopped just as we came to the next drop.  Never would have made that last run.
1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »

I agree with Irwin  The lord was looking out for you and your family

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 09:12:06 PM »

Greg, it was your lucky stars looking after you and yours, that is a wonderful thing, smiling.  So nice to hear this story where you and your Children did not come to a tragic accident (and the other stories that have been told here in this thread too).  Have a great and most wonderful day, great life, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 10:23:44 PM »

I agree with Irwin  The lord was looking out for you and your family

So who is responsible for the brake failure?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 10:25:09 PM »

Now, Jerry, that is a really good question, smiling.  Have that great and most wonderful day, life, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 10:38:04 PM »

nature...chemistry...nasty little demons....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 10:42:48 PM »

One day a long time ago,  dad and I had just got home from fishing and still had the boat hooked up...I pulled over,(in the street next to the sidewalk in front of the house)and me and dad got out of the truck just like always...we were carrying junk to the house and heard a loud CLANG!...we turned around to see what it was and low and behold.......the entire bumper of my Trooper( Still hooked to the boat trailor) fell right off onto the road!...and the truck hadnt been moving for maybe 3 to five minutes!
Another time, We had a 24 foot pontoon boat...we were going down the hiway to the lake, and there was a big clunk...I looked into the rear view mirror to see that my boat had dropped about 2 feet...Thats when I learned how important the safety chains really are!
 Its amazing How God watches over us in so many situations...Greg, I'd say that you just had a miracle happen! Im glad to see you in here writing about the brakes, for sure!
your friend,
john

Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 11:01:58 PM »

If God has to intervene that means someone must have interfered with His design. So who was it?

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 11:04:35 PM »

Oh, I think it is the lucky stars.....beautiful day in our great life, health.  Cindi

Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 11:07:09 AM »

If God has to intervene that means someone must have interfered with His design. So who was it?
There are people who baleave and there are people that don't I will leave it at that...

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 11:18:01 AM »

why do you come to that conclusion?  man designed the metal and the system that failed.  maybe god just thought it was a shame to waste lives because of mans design flaw? 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 12:19:08 PM »

why do you come to that conclusion?  man designed the metal and the system that failed.  maybe god just thought it was a shame to waste lives because of mans design flaw? 

Let us take all the things that happen in the world everyday and reduce it to three cars speeding on a back road. One by one they zip through a stop sign on a major highway. The first two go through and nothing happens... Wow! Must be a miracle. God was certainly watching over them.

The third car goes though the stop sign and ten people die when the car hits a van full of school kids. So what was that? God just turned his back? Just one of those things that happens?

When something good happens it is because of divine interference  huh But when something bad happens  huh  huh Just because  huh

Either it is all coincidence or both good and bad are caused by some super natural thing. 

I am under this impression that God knows everything that is going to happen. So I have been told all my life. So one has to wonder about things like that plane landing in the Hudson. Nearly every article would mention "Miracle". Implying divine intervention. Why didn't He just move the birds out of the way? 

I have had many close calls in my life. Another inch here or another second there and I would be dead. Was it God that saved me all those times?

Two items just this week;

a friend of my mother had a brother suffering from dementia that for what ever reason decided to take a walk without shoes or jacket. He was found froze to death.

a cat was found in a snow drift somewhere. Body temperature 40 degrees below normal. She survived.

Who was responsible for the death of the man and the life of the cat? 

Jerry

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »

i can not answer your questions.  i guess people either believe, or they don't.  does god have a divine plan for individuals, or does he just pop in from time to time?  if you ever see him, you can ask....

i know that things have happened in my life that seemed a disaster.  things i would have gone back and changed if i could time travel.  much later, those things turned out to have been good.  was that gods plan?  i don't know.  i do know that with my limited insight, i would have messed up a good thing if given the chance.  smiley

Alexis de Tocqueville
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 01:55:15 AM »

Let us take all the things that happen in the world everyday and reduce it to three cars speeding on a back road. One by one they zip through a stop sign on a major highway. The first two go through and nothing happens... Wow! Must be a miracle. God was certainly watching over them.

The third car goes though the stop sign and ten people die when the car hits a van full of school kids. So what was that? God just turned his back? Just one of those things that happens?

We came here to learn: "Life is a School....What have you learned?"  There are risks in coming here and becoming alive, it is part of the process.  If God watched over each of and protected each of us then we would little and live forever.  We actually learn from life's mishaps, serendipity, and incidents. We can learn from someone else's death, we can learn from our own pain, anguish, and suffering.  It's a school, learn.

When something good happens it is because of divine interference  huh But when something bad happens  huh  huh Just because  huh

Some groups believe that our lives were planned for us before we came here.  As far as something bad or good happening, that is a direct result of the choices we make each moment of our lives.  Chose to smoke and 30 years later you have lung cancer, was that of God, or your own stupidity?
We have free will, to chose what we will do, sometimes the invocation of that free will can cause us an early death, fame, fortune, notoriety, etc. 

Either it is all coincidence or both good and bad are caused by some super natural thing.

It is neither coincidence or caused by a super natural thing, it is free will.  Free will is the very thing this country was founded on only we call it freedom. Abuse your freedoms and you can lose you life, abuse your free will and it can cost you your life.

I am under this impression that God knows everything that is going to happen. So I have been told all my life. So one has to wonder about things like that plane landing in the Hudson. Nearly every article would mention "Miracle". Implying divine intervention. Why didn't He just move the birds out of the way?

I agree God knows what is going to happen each of us, each critter or plant upon this planet.  It was a "Miracle" that the plane landed in one piece and everybody got out alive, what's hard to understand about that?  Ask yourself how many people on that plane have a deeper belief and faith in their creater because he didn't?  How about the belief and faith of those who just heard about it?  That to me seems like a pretty good reason to let "nature" take it course.  We saw something, we learned from it (each in a different way), and a greater bond between the people invovled was created as well as a greater appreciation of life. 

I have had many close calls in my life. Another inch here or another second there and I would be dead. Was it God that saved me all those times?

Two items just this week;

a friend of my mother had a brother suffering from dementia that for what ever reason decided to take a walk without shoes or jacket. He was found froze to death.

a cat was found in a snow drift somewhere. Body temperature 40 degrees below normal. She survived.

Who was responsible for the death of the man and the life of the cat? 

During those close calls with death have you ever heard you name called out loud, but not by anybody around you?  I've had over 2 dozen close calls with death during my life.  The 1st one I heard my name called, twice, and was saved from being scalded with a canning kettle full of extremely hot water.  Another time, when I hear my name called, I turned and a bolt of lighting struck a metal post I had been standing guard in front of (I've had 4 near misses my lightening).  There were many other times things just happened, and other times I was given a choice: my discissiion would determine what would happen.  And that is the key, it is free will, our choices, the good, the bad, the benevolent, and the ugly, determine what happens to us. 
I've often had people ask me why God hasn't answered their prayers.
My answer: "Maybe you haven't done the things that are necessary to earn an answer." 
Good behavior is rewarded with good "luck", bad behavior is awarded hate, misery, and jealousy.  Good deeds will earn you answers to your prayers, bad deeds can earn you a prison term. 

I hope that answers you questions.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 03:46:36 AM »

I stopped trying to figure it out a while ago. Faith is an individual walk, not the same for anyone.

I don't get my hopes up but I try my best to be a good person. I don't really know for certain if there are indeed consequences to our actions, but I would like to think so.

I believe there is something greater than us, I call him God. Some people might consider me an atheist but trust me, I am not.

I don't look for miracles and I don't expect they will happen, but the way I look at it is, we have a choice to be nice to each other and respect each other or have no respect, no morals and care less or not at all for our fellow man.

Life is too short to be an idiot your entire life.

I believe in love. Love for what is right and decent.

People make me mad, almost on a daily basis. It is difficult in this crazy world to always be happy with so many spoiled brats out there wanting and expecting you to make them happy, by giving them special treatment above and beyond normal and proper expectations.

When I'm just about to throw in the towel and give up on mankind, something wonderful happens.

It could be a goofy kid that makes me laugh, one of my dogs that won't leave me alone till I play with it.

More importantly, someone who is in more of need at the moment than I am, and then I realize how selfish I was being and reality steps in and teaches me another lesson.

Good things don't always happen to good people. What have I learned Brian?

To persevere, all I can do really, if you think about it.

And dwell on the good things, as much as possible, this will keep you sane.

...JP

and

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next