Before I jump right into my question, just fyi, all my hives swarmed last year. So I'm trying like mad to prevent this from happening again.
Hive #1 already swarmed over a week ago, only found one swarm cell and cannot find her. Lots of crazy weather so she may have gotten lost.?. Anyhow, still no evidence of virgin queen (unless she hasn't started laying and is waiting to mate),bees were agitated.
Checked another hive (#2), they very strong, lots of brood and eggs, bees in good mood. I opened up brood nest and found a couple of swarm cells. Instead of starting a nuc, I decided to give several frames of honey,brood and all swarm cells to the weakened queenless hive to prevent laying workers.
Of course, what's done is done, but do you think this was the right approach? I may have other hives that have started cells. Haven't been able to get into them due to all of the cool raining weather lately.
Should I look for anything other than the obvious (presence of queen in each hive).
Is it still possible to get any surplus honey from either hive (our flow begins in about 30 days).?
Thanks for any pointers or advice!