Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 24, 2014, 07:50:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we like guns?  (Read 1267 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: March 30, 2009, 05:36:46 PM »

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/033009/loc_416184813.shtml

Guns could be legal in workplace
By Enrique Rangel | A-J AUSTIN BUREAU

Monday, March 30, 2009
Story last updated at 3/30/2009 - 1:28 am

AUSTIN - Last week the Texas Senate unanimously passed a bill that would allow Texans to take their guns and ammunition to work as long as they leave the weapons in their car - even if their bosses object.

"Here in Texas people like their firearms," Sen. Glenn Hegar, R-Katy, the author of the bill, said. "If they want to bring them to the workplace they are going to do it whether there is a policy or not."

Although Hegar's bill is now in the House where it faces more scrutiny, it is not the only gun-related legislation in the 81st Legislature. There are several other gun-related bills this session, including one that would allow Texans with concealed weapon licenses to carry their firearms on college campuses and another that would exempt the purchase of guns, rifles, shotguns and ammunition from the state sales tax if the items are bought the last weekend of August, both filed by Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio.

Wentworth, a Texas Tech Law School graduate, along with Rep. Joe Driver, R-Garland, is also the author of the castle doctrine law, which the Legislature passed in 2007. That law allows Texans to use deadly force against a would-be attacker, be at home, at work or even in their car.

In this session, Driver also filed the House companion to Wentworth's bill that would allow people with concealed gun licenses to carry their firearms on college campuses.

But Wentworth, Driver and many of their colleagues who support gun rights know that there are only so many gun-related bills that even a Second Amendment-friendly Texas Legislature has stomach for.

One much-touted bill that no one in the Senate or the House dared to file was the so-called open carry, which would have allowed Texans to wear their firearms in plain view, just like law enforcement officers in uniform do.

"I just think that the law that we passed about 15 or 16 years ago for concealed-carry is working pretty well and I don't see the need for an open-carry bill," Wentworth said.

Wentworth's remarks were measured compared to some made by other legislators.

"I see no point on open-carry," said Sen. Kel Seliger, R-Amarillo, who has a concealed weapon license. "I think it is publicly intimidating (and) it has nothing to do with the right to keep and bear arms. It has to do with common sense."

"The open-carry? That is definitely the Wild West," said Rep. Joe Pickett, D-El Paso. "I am not in big fan of that one."

"The concealed-carry law we have in the books is working just fine," said Rep. Joe Heflin, D-Crosbyton, who also has a concealed gun license. "We don't need an open-carry because it would be frightening to see a lot of people carrying guns."

"It's crazy," added Rep. David Swinford, R-Dumas, another legislator with a concealed gun license. "How would you feel if you walked into a 7-Eleven at midnight and you saw a guy carrying a gun?"

Rep. Debbie Riddle, R-Tomball, who was considering filing the open carry bill said she heard similar comments from even some of her gun-rights colleagues and decided not to introduce the legislation.

"This is not the time," Riddle said. "We have a lot of other issues this session and this would have been a major distraction."

Mike Stollenwerk, a former Texas resident and co-founder of a northern Virginia group that calls itself OpenCarry.org, said that although he is disappointed that neither Riddle nor another legislator filed the open-carry bill he is not discouraged.

"I am a glass half-full type of guy," Stollenwerk said. "We didn't get it done this time but we think we'll eventually get it done."

Stollenwerk said he based his optimism on the fact that there were several gun-related bills filed this session.

But Stollenwerk and Ian McCarthy of Austin, who approached some legislators to file the open carry bill, also acknowledged that even in Texas, a state considered friendly to the Second Amendment, gun-related bills face some obstacles because some legislators think there are already too many gun-laws in the books.

Rep. Lon Burnam, D-Fort Worth, for example, has said that if it ever gets to the House floor, he will oppose the legislation that would allow people with concealed weapon licenses to carry their firearms on college campuses.

And Rep. Garnet Coleman, D-Houston, said the bill that would make the last weekend of August a tax holiday for anyone who buys guns, rifles, shotguns and ammunition is a bad idea. Even some, such as Seliger and Pickett, don't think such legislation is a good idea.

"No, we don't need to exempt the purchase of guns and ammunition from sales taxes, like we do for families who buy clothes and shoes for their kids before they go back to school," Seliger said.

However, Wentworth and Driver said they are not discouraged about the opposition to their bills.

"When we passed the concealed-carry we heard the same arguments," Driver said. "There were plenty of naysayers who said it would be a terrible law."

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:29:56 PM »

We shall rally behind the Lone Star State and the NRA in the war against the Brady Bunch and other anti-gun groups.

Will the Alamo be the sight of the next shot to be heard around the world?

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:06:10 PM »

was just talking to my dad about which one of us has the most defensible piece of property.  he reminded me that my brother had wanted to buy one of those missile silos a few years back.  i'm thinking we should have done it.........

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
beeslinger
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 09:53:21 AM »

I know I liked Texas for a reason. I should have moved back..........
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 06:49:36 PM »

I LOVE Texas!
 My wife hates guns!
But, recently, My son has decided we need an assault weapon..
But, Gosh Dang!...used to be able to get an AK for 250$..Now, I dont have any idea about what they go for.
I dont go to gun shows, but they are in town it seems like every other month, and they have EVERYTHING!
 But,.....I think most those guys at the shows are pretty much silly rednecks...Around here, people play the roll....You know, the camo clothes...big boots....grimy hats and week old wiskers...and it might not even be huntin season! grin
 But, when it comes down to it, I prefer to appear like a "Shmuck" before I open fire on somebody trying to take my place from me, or trying to steal my stuff.....Hawaain shorts, no shirt, 50 Cal. machine gotten from a helicopter....I think I can get into this!! grin.......I'll start workin' on the Chopper first, I suppose!!
your friend,
john

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »

looking at an AR15.  going from 700 to 1000+ and a very long back order on the good ones!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:34:48 PM »

looking at an AR15.  going from 700 to 1000+ and a very long back order on the good ones!
Oooh, good to know!  Doubling our money is always a good thing! Wink

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »

i remember your pic.   grin

supply and demand.  guns, the last of the free market products!

Alexis de Tocqueville
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:11:29 PM »

i remember your pic.   grin

supply and demand.  guns, the last of the free market products!
ftp://

"....for a limited time only at your local sporting goods store!"  Saw that in an advertisement recently.  Makes sense, guns are only going to be available for a limited time and people know it.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
lmehaffey
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 06:16:47 AM »

Here in 'Bama (without an O, if you please), gun "control" pretty much means that we know how to shoot straight enough to hit what we aim at......everyone I know owns at least a couple of handguns, rifles, or shotguns. If the government wants to limit our legal right to own and carry...well, even I know who to contact to get my hands on unregistered, high-powered arms captured by our military and sitting in poorly-inventoried storage facilities -- shipping and handling not included, of course.   Wink

It is what it is.......except when it isn't.
1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 09:33:56 AM »

I love  the Texas law I hope it come to Arkansas soon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next