What do deer eat and don't eat?

(1/8) > >>

BjornBee:
I have a garden at the house that is convenient. I usually plant tomatoes, peppers, squash, and strawberries. Of course the deer rip out the strawberries when they can.

I have a fenced area at the farm, where I can expand the garden. So I was thinking of planting those item the deer will not eat here, and move those items on the list that deer do eat to the farm.

From the following, what will deer eat?

Tomatoes
Peppers
Horseradish
Blueberries
Asparagus
Watermelon
Pumpkin
Cucumber
Onion
Rhubarb

Thank you.

kathyp:
i have all that stuff and the dear don't bother any of it.  they eat the shoot off the berries, then eat the berries as they ripen.  they eat the new growth on the fruit trees, then the fruit.  i had one that tried the tomatoes, but didn't like them.  sometimes they chew the kiwi a bit, but not much and they don't harm the corn.

i have more trouble with rabbits.

doak:
all peas and beans
collards
okra
peaches
apples
pears
hos ta
Japanese magnolia
azaleas

They do not eat 6 foot tall electric fences. :roll:doak

JP:
I'd imagine if food was scarce they'd eat just about anything. I've seen deer down in Venice, Louisiana survive off of weeds.

Kathy, better keep an eye on the corn.

...JP

eri:
A better question would be, "What do deer not eat?" They will eat tomato plants; they destroyed my son's patch last year, in town, jumping over a 6 foot wood fence. Doak has the best idea: a tall electric fence.

That said, here is one link. But best to check with your local ag agent, as the answer will be specific both to your geographic area and your locale (city, country, local deer population, proximity of garden to woods, presence of dogs, etc.). Knock on a wooden beehive, but the deer don't bother my gardens much. Still, I am going the solar electric fence route this year, mostly to keep the chickens out.

http://www.deer-departed.com/deer-resistant-vegetables.html

Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page