Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 28, 2014, 09:19:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with what the bear left me last fall?  (Read 585 times)
TimLa
House Bee

« on: March 29, 2009, 05:13:52 PM »

A bear came in last August and destroyed my first hive (one deep, one medium).  I've salvaged all the useable stuff (top, bottom, both boxes, a few sheets of deep and about 6 sheets of medium plasticell).  Had been planning on adding another medium, but those plans went up in smoke, so I've got one new medium ready to go, and bought the wood to build 5 mediums and 6 sets of frames (there simply is no plasticell available now), so I'll have a total of:

1 deep, no frames, two sheets of deep plasticell
7 mediums, 70 frames, 16 sheets of medium plasticell
2 bottom boards
2 telescopic tops

(and a 5,000 volt fence charger for the new bear exclusion zone)

I want to go foundationless, and my replacement 3# package of italians should be available for pickup weekend after next.  I'm thinking of cutting all that plasticell into starter strips, all the frames are grooved top and bottom, and installing the package in one medium with just the starter strips in the frames.

Advice?  I'm really jazzed to get started again - last year's hive barely made it through spring (my fault - wasn't feeding enough) and were going great guns when the bear destroyed it.

-T

Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 06:56:32 PM »

Sounds to me like you have a handle on it.  Wink

Oh yeah....don't pee on the fence... shocked

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
RayMarler
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 07:42:10 PM »

I myself am moving to natural cell foundationless frames this year. I have taken a couple boxes worth of plastic foundation and cut them down into 5/8" strips for use in the top bar grooves of the frames. The bees so far have taken to them well and are drawing out the comb just fine. The only draw back I've had is the strips I've cut are thicker than the groove in the top bars. I had to use a hand held grinder to grind the strips just a little bit thinner on one edge.

Sitting in the shade, drinking lemon aid.
Enjoying the breeze while counting the bees.
TimLa
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 08:33:47 PM »

Oh yeah....don't pee on the fence... shocked

I was there when a friend of mine did that in europe - let's just say that I don't think they don't use wimpy cattle fence chargers around military installations.  He was not amused.

I'll go forward with the starter strip plan, and will be setting up two hives in case I can lure a swarm or maybe even do a split.  All depends on the flow.  This time around, though, I'm gonna feed them until they quit taking it - Once I caught on to the fact that they were starving, I probably fed last year's hive close to 50# of sugar before they found their own food.

Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next